Reassembly of 63 Riv Interior Carpet Pieces

DrP

Putting my interior carpet back together. OK. Shuda took pics on removal but didn't. Searched previous threads and body manual with no success. Anyone know where these two cardboard pieces belong? I know they go in the passenger side, foot well/transmission hump area, up under the dash but can't seem to make the puzzle pieces fit. Know that they do go up under the carpet somewhere in the vicinity of the passenger's upper left foot area but where? and how they fit? is my problem. The one on the right is in its same general position it will go for reinstall as I marked the back "top" and "right". The one on the left, don't know where or how it goes since I failed to mark it. They are curved to fit the contour of the transmission hump and floor pan. They have staples along the edges. Did Buick staple these to the back of the carpet? Or staple to another piece? Anal I am but want to get them back in the right place. Water staining may be due to A/C condensate, leaking heater core or??? Any help or ideas gratefully accepted. Dalepost-99012-143142457391_thumb.jpg

Putting my interior carpet back together. OK. Shuda took pics on removal but didn't. Searched previous threads and body manual with no success. Anyone know where these two cardboard pieces belong? I know they go in the passenger side, foot well/transmission hump area, up under the dash but can't seem to make the puzzle pieces fit. Know that they do go up under the carpet somewhere in the vicinity of the passenger's upper left foot area but where? and how they fit? is my problem. The one on the right is in its same general position it will go for reinstall as I marked the back "top" and "right". The one on the left, don't know where or how it goes since I failed to mark it. They are curved to fit the contour of the transmission hump and floor pan. They have staples along the edges. Did Buick staple these to the back of the carpet? Or staple to another piece? Anal I am but want to get them back in the right place. Water staining may be due to A/C condensate, leaking heater core or??? Any help or ideas gratefully accepted. Dale[ATTACH=CONFIG]241863[/ATTACH]

Hard to tell from the pic but backside of the carpet up against the console would be my guess.

Tom Mooney

I just looked at my bare console and I see three vertical screw holes on the passenger side of the console at the front. I think I see three holes in the one piece of cardboard in your picture. Try lining them up. They're there to support the carpet in the gap between the console and the firewall. There's a stainless piece on the driver's side that's in the same position. Good luck. Sorry that I can't offer a better description or have a picture to post.

Ed

Yes Ed; but the three vertical screw holes hold on the white plastic piece shown in place at the top of this pic. But, still puzzling over how and where to put the cardboard pieces. The "three holes" in the cardboard are not holes but metal staples (paper type staples). Each cardboard piece has there staples along the edge. Buick engineers designed and specifically cut and curved to fit. Maybe behind the plastic piece. I just can't seem to fit them in the correct place. Suppose I should've stayed awake in Sophomore Geometry class? Water stains on them are another puzzle but we'll take one thing at a time. Tnx. Dale

post-99012-14314245772_thumb.jpg

Maybe under the carpet in much the same position shown in the pic? In that case maybe water stain was caused by spilling a drink on the floor? (Pepsi-Cola at the drive-in movies?) Just don't understand the function of the cardboard. Dale

Maybe under the carpet in much the same position shown in the pic? In that case maybe water stain was caused by spilling a drink on the floor? (Pepsi-Cola at the drive-in movies?) Just don't understand the function of the cardboard. Dale

Dale, see my previous post. Pretty sure the cardboard is stapled to the back of the carpet where it turns vertical up the side of the console and tucks into the stainless trim on the side of the console. The purpose of the cardboard is to keep the carpet from drooping and falling out of the stainless console molding, an early problem with the Riv. Make sense?

Tom Mooney

When I replaced my carpet, I didn't have those anywhere. I put in all new insulation and sound deadening material, so probably no need for them now.

My carpet was replaced by a PO somewhere in the past, so quite possible they were removed and never replaced.

Tnx Tom. You are probably right as the contour matches the tranny hump in that area. To be sure we're on the same page this is the right -passenger- side so it has the plastic trim piece shown in my second pic. The driver's side has the stainless. Still, you are likely correct and I shuda checked the carpet backing. I'll inspect there to see if I can detect any evidence of these pieces being stapled and, give a try stapling to carpet back as needed. And, report back. Yep Chuck. It takes time to put the pieces of the puzzle back together so maybe PO of your silver jewel may not have been as focused (anal retent) as me about getting things back to original. Even 'tho no one will likely ever see it. Lesson learned; take pics of everything planned to be removed BEFORE removing. Hmmmm! What a novel concept.

Didn't have the sail panel off. Ed. You a geometry teacher? Dale

No, but we're teaching polygons to 6th and 7th graders now. They're not mentally mature enough to grasp the abstract, but the Departments of Education in the states are having pissing contests to see which state can teach what used to be high school curriculum to the lowest grade. I think the U.S. Dept of Education knows we're falling behind so many other countries that they're pushing stuff down to lower and lower grades trying to make up for our decline in the standards of education.

If you'll allow me to drag out my soap box, I'll really get going. :mad:

Ed

Ed: it's a pity. Wife is a retired school administrator-Special Ed, California school system. The horror stores about people trying to take advantage of the system, you wouldn't believe- well maybe you would. Admin was the worst she said. Liked classroom much, much more. Thanks and bless you for your attempts to educate our youth. Keep the faith. At least a few successes will someday make you proud 'tho you may never know how many and which life you inspired. I was one of those who did a "whole lot better than they thought I would". Dale

Tnx Tom. You are probably right as the contour matches the tranny hump in that area. To be sure we're on the same page this is the right -passenger- side so it has the plastic trim piece shown in my second pic. The driver's side has the stainless. Still, you are likely correct and I shuda checked the carpet backing. I'll inspect there to see if I can detect any evidence of these pieces being stapled and, give a try stapling to carpet back as needed. And, report back. Yep Chuck. It takes time to put the pieces of the puzzle back together so maybe PO of your silver jewel may not have been as focused (anal retent) as me about getting things back to original. Even 'tho no one will likely ever see it. Lesson learned; take pics of everything planned to be removed BEFORE removing. Hmmmm! What a novel concept.

Dale, Attached you will find a `64 service bulletin which contains a pic which clearly illustrates the placement of the cardboard.

post-50047-143142465688_thumb.jpg

Tom Mooney

Perfect Tom. This is it. How do you get these things? Good on you. And now I know where the metal clip - seen in the right part of the photo on the cardboard piece -goes as well. When I found this clip "loose" in the floorboard area my thought was some assembly line worker was hungover Monday morning and didn't attach the clip but just threw it in the car. Yellow wax crayon mark on the console area must, then, indicate a quality inspection making sure all was done correctly. These cars can "talk" to us if only we just learn how to listen. Thx Tom for the follow up. Dale