Gran Sport / GS

RivNut

Hey guys, can someone either straighten me out or am I totally out of it. In my experiences, the Gran Sport name was only used on the Riviera, and the GS was used to describe the big block version of the Skylark series. There was never a Riviera GS, nor was there a Skylark Gran Sport - or so it goes with the badges. I've seen so much intermixing of the two, I'm getting to the point where I'm starting to have doubts. Can anyone give me a definitive answer?

Thanks,

Ed

I've always thought that Gran Sport and GS can be used interchangeably for all years and models. The GS was just an abbreviation of Gran Sport. For instance, on the 1966 Wildcat Gran Sport, it says Gran Sport on the grill and GS on the fenders. Is that not correct?

YES

Regarding the Skylark/ A bodies, not the Riv's, I believe for 65 there were no GS badges, only Gran Sport badges. In 66 there was a combo of Gran Sport and GS badges. By 67 though there were only GS badges. Sure was a confusing time.

JohnD, Thanks for that; I'm thinking along the same lines as your are. I was asking because for some reason I googled Gran Sport and then I opened the Wikipedia page on the Gran Sport. I think the author(s), editors, and contributors are totally confused. They're calling every A body a Gran Sport then make reference to the Rivera GS..??????

Guest my3buicks

By 67 the "A" body GS's did not use the Gran Sport name at all that I can find, even the new car order form, sales manuals, etc all have GS 400