51 Studebaker parts needed

Hi all

I am Restoring a 51 Commander 2dr starlite coupe V-8 Automatic Drive. This is a nice, fairly low mileage car, but has spent its life in New England and has a few issues

I would love to find good frt and rear fenders and have been looking some, but no luck so far, of course the weather in the Midwest has not helped as many of the nice folks I've talked to have their stuff buried in snow

Also looking for a frame crossmember that holds the rear engine mounts

I will be at the York PA swap meet in a couple of weeks and looking forward to meeting many of you there.

Ill add the Stude part #'s of a few things I need if it helps

RR fender 293578p

LR fender 293581p

RF fender 293218

LF fender 293219

Crossmember 530136

brake cable 519795

brake cable 530130

also trying to learn more about the Camshaft issues, the lifters in this engine are badly worn, the Cam does not look to bad from a quick visual inspection but I am leery given the condition of the lifters

Any help, advise, leads greatly appreciated,

Chris Coon

Call Bob Munter in Northborough, MA at WCD Garage, where they repair and restore Studebakers and other cars. He also runs a parts business known as Northeast Studebaker. He has many, many NOS parts, including sheet metal. Bob restored his '51 Commander to a 400-point car. He'll be at York, so could bring the right stuff for you. Call him Mon-Fri 8am-5pm at WCD Garage, fyve oh ate-393-2493.

• 2 weeks later...
also trying to learn more about the Camshaft issues, the lifters in this engine are badly worn, the Cam does not look to bad from a quick visual inspection but I am leery given the condition of the lifters

Studebaker did have trouble with the early 232" steel cams. By now, most have been replaced by and iron cam. What is the part number cast or stamped on your cam?

Your 232" most likely has 1.00" diameter lifters, which are NLA. Yours might be salvaged by regrinding. I have reground camshafts and lifters available on an exchange basis.

PM me if interested.

• 4 weeks later...

Chris

I may have a good cross member.

It had been welded and reenforced for an abandoned project.

I have $150.00 in it but is hard for me to ship.

Are you coming to South Bend?

I have not been to the warehouse lately due to health problems.

I am not sure if it is still there!

My son has been helping me and he may have sold it.

Robert Kapteyn

studebaker(at)mac.com

Edited by rbk (see edit history)