Replacing Clutch and Brake Pedal Seals

Glassesguy

Guys: I need to replace the clutch and brake pedal seals on both the 39 and 37. Pedals are still in the 39 but out of the 37. Any secrets here other than to stretch them over the pedal face (with pads off of course) and pray they don't split. This has already happened with some old stock seals. Repros are available so I hope they have more stretch. Thanks for your sage advice on this.

My reproductions simply split when I tried to stretch them over the pedals. So, if and when I re-order, I was intending to make a nice clean cut and then count on a bit of adhesive and the floorboards to hold them back together. I am anxious to see if there is a better way.

Jeff

I had the splitting problem too when I tried to install seals that I bought about 20 years ago. I bought a new set from Steele and they were a LOT more pliable than my old ones had been. I used a lot of very soapy water and stretched the new seals successfully over the pedals. They were a lot more stretchy than the old ones had been.

It can be done.

Don

Guest 4 bufords

would put them on when there are warm,might put them in the hot sun before installing,4 bubords from ct

I put mine on from the bottom up and not over the foot tread but I had my pedals off the car.

They're not really that big a deal to remove. I would imagine that there isn't much difference between left and right hand pedals. A little soap helped.

Danny

• 1 year later...

Finally, got them on. Nothing exotic. I simply coated the pedal part and small opening of the seals with Syl Glide which is a jellied rubber lubricant. Held my breath when I stretched the seal onto the pedal, but once there, the seal slid right across the pedal and down the shaft onto the locating ribs. Sort of like Danny and Don's suggestions with soapy water. Vaseline might work also. Again, thanks for your help.