1949 chrysler windsor brake switch

Guest cetmeboy308

Guest cetmeboy308

Does anyone know where the brake switch is located on the 49 windsor ...my brake lights stay on at times when the car is turned off.... thanks Mark

Does anyone know where the brake switch is located on the 49 windsor ...my brake lights stay on at times when the car is turned off.... thanks Mark

I believe that the switch is on the forward end of your master cylinder.

That is a mechanically-operated switch with an actuating arm (like the same vintage Chev trucks, i.e., not hydraulically-operated), so it will be triggered by movement of the brake pedal and linkage itself. Look both inside the passenger compartment and under the car. I removed one 40 years ago and don't remember where it was.

Our 48 has it up front just below the battery and right behind the radiator, our 52 has it in the rear driver side inside the frame where it kicks up for axle clearance. I would look in these locations. I have never seen a mechanical switch on any of our Chrysler products all our cars use a pressure switch.

Jay

Correction to my #4: There is no actuating arm, but it is a push-pull switch with a tab that moved in and out. Now that I think about it, it may have been attached to brake pedal by a spring, so look for that.

Okay,

Here is the correct answer as long as it is a 1949 2nd series Chrysler. It's on the inside edge of the frame forward and above the rear axle. It is a hydraulic actuated 2 terminal switch. 1/8" pipe thread. 1949-52 all MoPar cars- as Jazzer stated on his 52..

Edited by c49er (see edit history)

• 1 month later...