Lowrider

adam1982

Poor ol' Willy. I hope, someday, that someone with a brain and a modicum of taste gets a hold of this car and puts it back to original. It looks as if the upscale ghetto clowns are running out of Impalas, Rivis, and 39 Chev 4 doors and now they're putting Daytons, those stupid little tires, hydraulic suspensions and tasteless paint jobs on anything. Sad end to a nice car

Guest Jim_Edwards

Ain't a Lowrider!

Now I'm going to catch it from a bunch of folks for saying that it is a tastefully done Street Rod, and it appears the interior is pretty much a restoration and not anything wild. The paint and Chrome are outstanding. The tires look as if they are probably 9:00-15 bias ply tires, not low profile radials and not on 22 inch wheels.

Yes....it IS a lowrider. I believe it has hydraulics and the whole schmear. What part of 2" above the asphalt is not lowrider. It's an oldschool lowrider without the newer 22" rubber. Just because it has no dingle balls or tall, low profile tires does not mean it's not a lowrider.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Yes, it is a lowrider. More specifically, it is a "Bomba", a pre 50's car. 39 Chev 4 doors, or later Fleetlines are the preferred models that they choose to butcher up. The recipe is always the same. The tiny tires on wire wheels, hydraulics, gaudy paint, extreme attention to detail (no problem there), Chevy six with split manifold and pencil tip exhaust (vvvvooooommm....blaaaaaaaaa) and a giant club plaque in the back window

Working at the Firestone store in San Diego (College Grove), I mounted quite a few of those stupid tires on the larger rims. My boss finally said, "Enough". No more of those were done that way at our store.

Guest Jim_Edwards
Yes....it IS a lowrider. I believe it has hydraulics and the whole schmear. What part of 2" above the asphalt is not lowrider. It's an oldschool lowrider without the newer 22" rubber. Just because it has no dingle balls or tall, low profile tires does not mean it's not a lowrider.

I stand corrected! Should have blown up the photo and would have then seen the hydraulics on the front.

In any event, I kinda like it. Guess I'm a bit more tolerant of customizations of various natures than many. Just one of the many facets of the car hobby.

It is sad when any antique vehicle get butchered but to destroy something totally unique like a sleeve valved Willys is never justified, no way. I hope someone was at least able to save the engine and drive train. It's just a clown car now. Terry