Single cylinder Caddy. What year/model??

TheGolfingGolfGuy

<o></o> Hi to all. I am new to this forum and I am in need of help. I have inherited a single cylinder Cadillac. The car has been my wife’s family since the early 1960’s.

Here are the specs for the vehicle:

• 74” wheel base,

• 2 seats,

• A step that is attached to the rear fenders to get into the rear seat.

• Engine plate with patents from 1902, ‘03, and ’04.

The identification plate (as well as many other features) has been taken off the car, and I am not sure how to go about identifying it. I have searched online in an attempt to find the year and model of the car, but so far I have come up shorthanded. I think that have tracked it down to a 1905-E, 1906-K, or 1907-K. How can I find out?

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance Tim.

TheGolfingGolfGuy

Can anyone help?<o></o>

Thanks in advance Tim.<o></o>

TheGolfingGolfGuy

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Guest wombvette

I am going to guess an 06 or 07 model K, with a lot of body parts missing.

06 seems to be the first to have the rounded fender tips and the spark control on the steering col.

Edited by wombvette (see edit history)

Wombvette, thanks for the input regarding the rounded fenders. I have not had the chance to view that many cars in person and photos on the internet are few and sometimes mis-identified. And yes the is a "lot" of body parts missing. Steering wheel, radiator, gas tank, carbide lights / carbide generator, leather and the coach work to list a few of the known missing pieces. Any help or information in finding used or reproduction parts or someone knows somebody who makes or has a spare laying around would be greatly appreciated. Again thanks for the input.

Tim

TheGolfingGolfGuy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Scott Kramer

Hi Tim,

Your car looks like a 1906 Cadillac Model M. I am restoring the same year & model of car.Your motor should have a number stamped on either the front left mounting leg or on the top part of the flange near the cylinder.

There is a group called The Early Cadillac (1903-14) Group which has a web site.I have gotten a lot of advice & help from these people.

Yours in vintage motoring,

Scott Kramer

Woodstock, Ontario, Canada

Tim, You have a 1907 model M. The 1st clue is the fact that the car has the rear step plates to access the back seat. Model K's were only available as 2 passenger Victoria (tulip body) runabouts (roadster) and did not have rear seats or step plates. I identify it as a 1907 by the fact that it has a short, 9" dia. by 2 ft long muffler with the cut out on the end plate. 06 mufflers are 6" dia. by 3 ft. wit the cut out on the side of the can. The crown of 07 front fenders are flat like yours, 06 fenders flare to the side more. 07 front fenders also have a small skirt or splash apron attached along the inner edge that 06 do not. I can also see the oval cast iron fender brackets that were used in 07 instead of the metal straps used on 06. I don't see a hood in your photos but if you have the hood the radiator cap is fake and permanently attached to the 07 hood. 06 is the only year of 1-cyl Cadillac that the external radiator cap is functional. Other than these few items, there isn't much difference between 06 and 07. There are a number of features that rule out your car from any other year.

As for body style, nothing in your photos resembles original body parts. There were 2 types of model M touring cars available with back seats; "straight side" and "Victoria" known as tulip body. I suspect that your car originally had the tulip touring body since it has fenders with the single radius ends. I believe that all if not most straight side cars had different fenders with a straight end with 2 small radii instead of the single radius ends used on the tulip K's and M's. Cadillac also made a roadster on the M chassis with or with out rear step plates but if it had rear steps it was furnished with either a mother-in-law seat or a fold-down 2 passenger rear seat. Both of those configurations are rare.

As Scott suggested, check out the Yahoo Early Cadillac Group for 1 and 4 cylinder Cadillac.

Thanks to both Scott and Jdone. Your input was greatly appreciated. Every bit of the puzzle, opens new questions. I have become a member of the Yahoo Early Cadillac Group on your suggestion. I am looking for photos of the 1907 M. The few reference books that I have don't show the car in detail and specs. Thanks again

Tim Cason

TheGolfingGolfGuy