What's this truck?

TomTIII

Guest Bob Call

If its a Ford F600 it probably has a Mercury or Lincoln engine. Usually the Ford engine was used in the smaller 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.

Larger Ford trucks of the 1950's had there own engines. I pulled a 279 From an F-750 Fire truck one time. Also, the 332 was a V8 Ford truck motor. There were others that I would have too look up. Dandy Dave!

Also a 312 now comes to mind... Some of these trucks came though with a Clark 5 speed overdrive synchro mesh trans. The overdrive transmissions had to shifted forward for high gear, and the direct high was shifted rearward. Dandy Dave!

Guest Gary Hearn

As Jim and I have stated, this is a 1956 model. I noticed that your original post stated your friend was looking for a flathead, but he will not find it in this truck (unless transplanted). If my memory is correct, Ford went to an OHV design in trucks with the 1954 model year. My suspicion is that this truck has a 292.

Guest Gary Hearn

Dave,

The article you reference indicates the Y block OHV V-8 became available in 1954. That is also what my memory told me.

Gary

The 1952-1955 279 infomation was from an old Motors Truck manual from 1960 and may well be a misprint. The 279 that I had was from a 1955 F-750 fire truck which would be correct. Also mentioned is a 317 CDI and that 312's were not shipped in trucks. If that truck is a 1956 and has the correct engine it should be a 302 in a heavy truck.( Not the engine used in the Mustang of later fame, but a bonfide truck motor.) The 332 had a gear to gear timing, while the 279 and 302 had a timing chain. The lighter engines were only used in pickups and light trucks. Look here.... 312 Truck Y Block Engines

I'm not wrong for the large truck motor that was similar to the Lincoln 317 engine. The 317 engine was intoduced in 1952 for the Lincoln and the 279 in 1952 for large trucks. Look here. LINCOLN Y I guess my memory has served me well and a little research confirms it. Keep in mind that this early line of OHV engines was only used in heavy trucks and the high end Lincoln. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)