Possibly 1922 Olsmobile? Model?

Bever

My grandparents lost a farm when couldn't make loan payments on new 1922 Olsdmobile? What is the difference between Coupe, Sedan, Roadster and 5 Passenger Touring Car? Found an 1922 add with original price for these models. Have picture and have tried to attach. Keep getting error message not logged in when click on File Manager - Preview Post is visible.

Everybody (almost) has their own definitions for many of these terms. These are from The Distionary of Automotive Terms:

"Coupe

An enclosed single-compartment body with two doors and varying Passenger capacity depending on seat arrangements. The SAE standard J1100 defines it as having less than 33 cubic feet (934 liters) of interior Volume. Larger coupes have rear quarter windows. Coupes have fixed permanent back Panels and top, as well as a luggage compartment in the rear deck. Originally it meant a vehicle which was cut (thus the French coupé) by a glass partition behind the front seats so that the Driver was exposed to the air while those in the back were enclosed.

"Sedan

The term sedan originally described a conveyance seen only in movies today -- a wheelless vehicle for one person, carried on poles by two men, one ahead and one behind. Automakers borrowed the word and applied it to cars with an enclosed four-door body type, permanent back panels, and top with full-width cross seats front and rear, and Passenger capacity from five to seven depending on Wheelbase. Longer-wheelbase models accept extra passengers in fold-down auxiliary seats. Sedans usually have quarter windows in the rear quarter in addition to windows in all four doors. Trunk racks often were standard offerings. Called saloon in U.K. According to Car and Driver, the term "sedan" refers to a fixed-roof car with at least four doors or any fixed-roof two-door car with at least 33 cubic feet (934 liters) of rear interior volume, according to measurements based on SAE standard J1100.

"Roadster

(Rdstr) This term derives from equestrian vocabulary where it was applied to a horse used for riding on the roads. Old dictionaries define the roadster as an open-type car designed for use on ordinary roads, with a single seat for two persons and, often, a rumble seat. It is an open-type body with one bench seat and a luggage compartment in the rear deck. The weatherproof fabric top may be folded, and side curtains may be removed. The Windshield usually may be folded down. The original concept is maintained by the Morgan Plus 8 but modern roadsters include power features such as power steering, electric windows, etc. as in the Mercedes-Benz SL. Also see Sport roadster.

"Touring car

A vehicle with a body longer than the phaeton style, but very similar to it. It permits the use of auxiliary seats in the rear passenger compartment. It was an open car with seats for four or more passengers. Early models had no side weather protection but later were fitted with detachable side screens and curtains. Made until about 1930."

====================

Most people refer to a small interior, closed 2-door car as a coupe, a large interior car (2- or 4-door) as a sedan (<span style="font-style: italic">so long as it has a pillar between the seating positions supporting the roof, if not then it's a hardtop--which essentially didn't exist in 1922</span>), a small interior 2-door open car without wind up windows as a roadster (<span style="font-style: italic">If the windows wind up then it's a convertible.</span>), and large interior open car as either a touring car or a phaeton (<span style="font-style: italic">The more you paid for it, the more likely the manufacturer and others used the latter term.</span>).

I am logged in - have logged in and out a few times now, can not get past the following eror message when try to follow directions for attaching a file = photo. I am in New Reply not Quick Reply when I click on File Mangaer I keep getting the following:

We encountered a problem. The reason reported was

You must be logged in to access this page!

Please click back to return to the previous page.

Attached is 1 picture of 1922 Oldsmobile 5 passenger Touring Car I located last night and a 1922 Add for Oldsmobile - cost $1,145.00, also 1922 Olds Coupe (I know the differnece now!) Thanks!! smile.gif The fenders look similar and body but not sure radiator exact (not same height compared to headlights) and no slant for front windshield. Grandparents moved to town in 1923 and started over. First post with picture is the car of neighbors that bought repossessd car of grandparents. Possible but highly unkilely that my grandmother did not remember the make of the car that they lost the farm with and then neighbours driving it in the community. We have copy of Bill of Sale. Neigbours may have had a car previous to my grandparetns car. The label in their family album was "First Car". I have had lots of difficulty with the forum recognizing that I am really logged in and so could not attach till now.

post-58503-143138006576_thumb.jpg

post-58503-143138006578_thumb.jpg

post-58503-143138006579_thumb.jpg

post-58503-14313800658_thumb.jpg

Thanks TG and Steve, had to look up some descriptors on the site of dictionary of automobile terms supplied by Dave. smile.gif Yesssss..... looks exactly like a 1916 Chevrolet 490. So - neighbours likely had a Chevy previous to buying the car my grandfather lost. One more piece in the family puzzle. Still think it was a 1922 Oldsmobile that my grandfather bought. Wonder where the Chevy and Oldsmobile are today?

The last picture I inserted is a Custom 1922 Olsmobile base and vintage truck chassis used in the Beverly Hillbillies TV Series.