1950 Special 2dr Jetback

Guest Astra

Guest Astra

I thouhgt I should post an intro, so here goes. My name is Aaron and my '50 Special and I live in St. Louis. I've owned her for just under a year but am just starting to get to work on her. She doesn't run and is a little rough around the edges but I hope to get her up and running someday. I've browsed several of the threads and see there are a lot of knowledgeable people that post here. I hope to pick many of your brains as I begin my rebuild. Great site and I look forward to getting to know you all.

Guest imported_Thriller

Welcome aboard Aaron. That's a neat car you have. Even if it isn't a show car, some of us would like to see a photo or two if you are able to put one up.

Yes, there is a lot of collective knowledge here. Straight 8s and Dynaflows (I'm assuming your car is an automatic) are well known in these parts, so you should be able to get questions answered, and possibly parts if need be.

Guest Astra

Thank you for the welcome Thriller. I will get some pics posted later this week. It's actually a 3-spd.

Does anyone have any recomendations where I should start? All of the major systems (braking, suspension, drivetrain, electrical, fuel, etc.) will need to be rebuilt. I've worked on cars before (this is my first Buick) but I've never had so much that needed done on one car. I'm trying to figure out where the best place to begin is. Any input is appreciated.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Astra:

A few things to start with:

1) Take about 500 digital photos of every conceivable part, angle, etc. for reference later

2) Join the BCA. The tech advisors are the most knowledgeable people on their model years going.

3) Join the BCA chapter in St. Louis. It's one of the best chapters.

4) Make the acquaintance of Paul Meyer of the chapter. He's also president of the national BCA.

5) Buy the owner's manual and the shop manuals for your car. They can be found on e-bay.

6) Welcome to the wonderful (and sometimes strange) world of Buick!

If you post the numbers on the data plate on the firewall, I can decode them for you. Also post the frame number and the engine number and I can verify originality.

Regards, Dave Corbin

I would start to see if you can bring it back to life. Take out the spark plugs, get some ATF of Marvel Mystery oil in them and let it soak for a week or so. Then see if you can turn the engine over.

If you can, change the oil and filter while you are waiting. A P-127 should fit your car. You can cross it over to a Baldwin filter at most tractor supply places.

Then clean the plugs and points and try to start it. Dont use the gas that was, is in the tank, get fresh gas from a can or I have used a funnel with a hose attached to the carb.

If it runs and doesn't smoke, you are halfway there. No doubt you will find you need a water pump and vacume hoses to make it run correct. You might even need a fuel pump.

But get it runnning good before anything else. If it doesn't turn over then its time to pull the motor and have it looked at.

Assuming it runs good, then its time to make it stop. New wheel cylinders and master cylinder are a given as well as rubber lines to each whhel. Dont forget the one center line by the back axle. Now it runs and stops, but does it shift and move ? If not then its time to look at the tranny.

Once all this is done, you need to check the reart end for fluid ad you can start driving it and seeing what else pops up.

You can live with an ugly car that handles like a tank for a while but its not fun having a car that you cant fdrive and its dangerous having one that wont stop.

Guest Astra

Great info. Exactly the kind of suggestions I was looking for. I actually picked up the shop manual on ebay just a couple of weeks ago and will keep an eye out for an owner's manual as well. I also joined BCA the other day. I will definitely look into the STL chapter as soon as possible.

Here are a few pics. I even included a pic of the data plate from the firewall. I'll take a look tomorrow to see if I can find the frame and engine number. Thanks again and I really appreciate the assistance.

Buick%2001.JPG

Buick%2002.JPG

Buick%2003.JPG

Buick%20Plate.JPG

Guest imported_Thriller

Great shots...the colour is Geneva Green. Buicks.net may have a scan of paint chips and Autocolorlibrary.com should have something as well - it may give you a better idea of what the original colour is exactly.

Guest DaveCorbin

Der Aaron:

Trim number 43 is "Grey Striped Cloth". Green car with gray interior, conservative but pretty.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Aaron:

"BK" indicates that your car was built in the Kansas City plant.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Aaron:

The frame number is on a small plate that's usually down around the battery box and tough to see. The first digit will be a 4, which is the KC frame code. The engine has a stamped number on it on a small ledge near the distributor. For a Special, the first number in the engine number is probably also a 4.

Hope this helps, Regards, Dave Corbin

I restored one like that a few years ago, except mine was the plain-Jane 46-S not the 46-SD (D is for Deluxe, which has the stainless moulding along the lower middle of the door, and I think it has carpet instead of the rubber floor mats though someone might correct me on that). Striped broadcloth for the upholstery is available from Hampton Coach in Amesbury, Mass. Plain gray broadcloth goes on the interior door panels and rear interior quarter panels. The engine is a 248 cu. inch with mechanical (adjustable) lifters, since this is a stick shift car. Automatics have hydraulic lifters. This is a pretty lively and quick car with the stick shift, but be VERY careful and don't try anything foolish with that gearbox. It can break if abused. I do have a spare one--not easy to find. Tires are available from Wallace Wade Tire Company in Dallas, Texas; 7.60 by 15 if I remember correctly. Get the right size, and it gives the car a nice, high stance that looks impressive (and then you don't have to jack it up to work underneath!), especially with the wide whitewalls. Rhode Island wiring has the correct fabric-covered wiring harness for this car. The trunk emblem plastics that say "Buick Eight" were the hardest things for me to find when I restored mine. The automatic cars say "Dyna" and "Flow" which is much easier to find. Expect to pay about $200 if you can find a set of the "Buick Eight" trunk plastics. They are not in reproduction, so you have to find NOS pieces. Those front parking light housings are also tough to find in good shape, but they do turn up now and then. Get a CARS, Inc. catalogue and a Bob's Automobilia catalogue. They will be your best friends. Bill Stoneberg is right, though--see if the engine runs before you spend $$$ on other things. You also need to get to know James Conkwright (young BCA member in Kentucky). He restored a car like this and still has it.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman, Tx

Buick Bugle Editor

1949 model 59 Estate Wagon

1963 Wildcat 4-spd. conv.

1958 model 49-D Estate Wagon

Guest Astra

Great information all. I am having a little trouble finding the frame and engine numbers. I will make another attempt tomorrow.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...