1965 buick riviera

vito_d

hi folks...haven't been on for a while...need some help.

my headlight visors have failed me. they will not close. 'clicking' noise when i put the headlights 'on', but could not find the source of the 'click'. replaced the visor relay to no avail, but noticed the 'clicking' is constant now and will not stop when i shut the light switch as it did before. i disconeected the battery in hopes of avoiding a short. any input would be appreciated...thx vito

I would first disconnect the motor. The relay/relays are behind the battery under the fender. Is that the one you replaced ? The early Rivs came with one relay - then the factory recalled the cars and installed a second. Some cars have one now and some two - some cars were never returned to the dealer for the recall.

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest tone65riv

I'm a new member, and I know its been 2 years on this post, but I have a 65 riv. and need to replace the visor relay there are two in my car. Where can you buy the visor relay, don't care what kind just want them to work.

Thanks

Tony Lipare

• 9 months later...
Guest kluhbah

I know this is an old post, but I am having the same problem. When I turn the lights on the visors open, but do not close when I turn the lights off.

Has anyone been able to find a visor relay?i took the relay apart and I am able to touch the contact and make the close, so am not sure if this the problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

Matt

Kluhbah,

Go back to the main Buick forum and scroll down to the Riviera Owners forum. Lots of info on how to get these lights to work. You'll find out, based on the date your car was built, if it has the wiring that the later cars had - less trouble.

I believe a relay can "click" when it's energized by the "trigger signal", but not continue clicking? Might be an issue with the actual drive motor actuator itself. As in an internal gear, usually pretty thin, which might either be worn (and not fully engaging the other gear it meshes with) or missing a tooth. When the HVAC actuators fail, they "click" continuously as long as they are energized.

On the '67-'68 Camaros, with electric headlight doors (covers), on the RS models, the drive mechanism was made of a group of gears. Each gear was about the size of a USA silver dollar, and equally as thin. The gears were "fine" tooth gears, which meant that as long as the linkage was reasonably new and well-lubed, it would take lesser torque to make it work. As the linkage might age, the torque would increase. (Things we didn't think about, back then!!) Eventually, the "motor" would fail when one small tooth would break off of one of the gears. They went to a vacuum operated system for the '69s. Corvettes were "push-pull" vacuum operated, until the '84 model year.

Along about the '68 model year, with federal safety standards, there had to be a "fail safe" way to open the doors, manually, against the tension spring which kept the doors open (default mode). The vehicles which still used electric motors (as in Dodge Chargers and Chrysler 300s), had a single motor mounted between the headlights, behind the grille, with a large "knob/wheel" to use to manually open the doors should the motor fail. Then came the vacuum systems which were easier to over-ride, until electric actuation returned in the '82 model year (for GM).

Hope this might help.

NTX5467

Guest tone65riv

Matt, CARS, has them in their online catalog. (Group 2 Electrical.

I have not got my lights working yet. (but I'm sure its the Relay.

I just finished getting my motor rebuild, 401 Nailhead 65 riv.

Its in storage, so I'm not doing anything at this point until April.

Check out www.polarbearinc.com They have relays

Tone65Riv

Guest kluhbah

After reading all the previous posts on the clamshell headlight visors, I think I have a bad relay.

I have tested the motor after the relay and it opens and closes. With the relay connected and the key on, the visors open and the lights come on. However, with the key still on, the lights go off, but he visors stay open.

Can someone please send me a direct link to the visor relay.

I see others asking about a wiring diagram and service bulletin. Does anyone have a copy they can email me.

Any and all ideas and advice is appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

Matt

kluhbah@comcast.net

Guest tone65riv

Re: How many headlight relays on my 1965

There should be 2 headlight relays on your `65, behind the battery, unless it is a very early production car and was never taken back to the dealer to have the second installed.

Originally, the first cars built had one headlight relay but Buick was receiving feedback from customers who were finding their cars had dead batteries the morning after being parked the previous day. The problem was, if the closing headlight limit switch was not properly adjusted and not breaking the circuit to the motor, the motor would continuosly run in a stalled position, breaker popping on and off, until the battery was dead or the motor was fried, or both! Buick added the second relay to pull power off the system when the ignition key was in the off position.

This second relay is the hardest to find. It is possible to return the wiring to the pre-2nd relay configuration but one must be sure the switches are adjusted properly.

Join the R.O.A. and as a member I can supply you with an original 28 page service bulletin, free of charge, as a benefit of your membership. Also, as Jim has pointed out, the complete set of service bulletins including the previously mentioned headlight bulletin is available from Jim Cannon. Hope this helps, good luck!

I think a have a diagram in Riv Manual, I'll check tomorrow.

Tone65riv

Guest kluhbah

After lot of testing I determined my visor relay was good but not well grounded. The relay body and the fender well where it is attached were corroded. I did get the old one to work but went ahead and replaced it anyway. I now have a new headlight relay and visor motor relay and now everything is working great.

Thanks to everyone for all the input. The ROA is a great source of info.