Indexing

jonlabree

Yes, I have done so, even on the Buick. It is no fun on the rear cylinders of a transverse engine. The procedure is simple, but tedious. I cut the electrode back on the plugs now. It probably shortens the life of the plug but I just use plain old Autolite copper core. Cheap.

I aimed the opening at the imagined location of the exhaust valve. There is a certain amount of uncertainty involved unless the head is open to see. There are many schools of thought, as I am sure you know, but I shoot for the tip of the ground strap to be aimed between the valves, preferably biased to the exhaust valve.

Agreed. It's really one of those things you do if looking for the greatest uniformity in the assembly process. It can do no harm. In some cases it is even necessary for engines assembled right on the edge of clearances, where the opening must be pointed down toward the piston to avoid contact, just the opposite of what we are suggesting should be done. It's like many debates that go on regarding things automotive. Just look at the range of spark plugs that are offered, along with the claims; one ground electrode, two, four, none, forked, holes through the ground, rare earth metals, pointy and serated electrodes, on and on. I am sure that in some cases, combinations of spark plug and engine genuinely work better together than another combination, but I don't believe there is a universal fit for anything. It is almost always about combinations, the expectations and what the actual use will be. Personally I don't care for platinum plugs, but that's just me.