Violet Ray headlight lens

West Peterson

I would like to know more about this "Violet Ray" headlight lens that was acquired at an antique shop. It came with a brass frame. It is 8 1/2 inches in diameter (per the embossed writing), and was made in Mt. Pleasant, Pa. I've seen clear "Violet Ray" lenses, but this one has a bluish "violet" look to it. Has it changed colors over the years, or is it supposed to be colored?

I would also like to know the dynamics of it. Why the "bill" at the top?

post-33613-143137936931_thumb.jpg

post-33613-143137936934_thumb.jpg

post-33613-143137936937_thumb.jpg

post-33613-143137936939_thumb.jpg

post-33613-143137936942_thumb.jpg

I think several manufacturers in the late teens used this design. Ford offered a flat clear lense with a green top area before the common H lense came out. Many early clear lenses will turn violet when exposed to the sun. Back in the late 1960's flea market vendors out west would place them in the sun for a few years to double the price on them.

Guest 42guys

I also have had a few of these over the years. I am currently selling one on e-bay in the original box. They came in blue or clear. They were aftermarket lenses, and they will fit whatever you can get them into. There were other similar designs in aftermarket lenses like Shaler and flintex. You need to know the major diameter, and the lens exposure through the ring diameter that you are looking for to make these fit your car. Unfortunately I know of no application charts or lists for any of these, but sure wish I did. If anyone has any, I'd sure like a copy.