1934 Buick Hood

Willy

I found a 1934 Buick hood in the wilderness, brought it home, but can't get the

hinges unfrozen. The hood looks good, except for the rust holding the (piano)

hinges. Any suggestions? I have been using WD-40, with no apparent luck. My

options are navel jelly and (I think it's called) PB Blaster, a rust dissolver.

I have no use for it, but I'm sure someone does.

A helpful word about PB Blaster, it comes in gallons, with a pump can with the gallon. It works much better than the pressurized spray can, and, lasts a lot longer. You can adjust the squirt however you want. I had to ask the auto parts dealer to get it, they didn't stock it in the store. Paul

Guest oldbuicksguy

They are very tuff to remove. I had to get a rusty one apart a few months ago. I soaked it in WD-40. I used a nail punch and hammer to move the rod a 1/4" or so. I then installed vise grips on the rod and welded the rod to the vise grips. Then I used an air chisle on the vise grips to force the rod out. The vibration of the air hammer had it out in no time.

Are the strips on the hood any good? If they are large series they are worth about $100 each.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're talking about the chrome strips covering the side vents on the hood, they

are all there, chrome about gone (no rust through), couple bent, but appear repairable.

Thing is, I really don't want to take this hood apart, I'd rather keep it all together.

Guest oldbuicksguy

It sounds like the hood hinges have rusted to the hinge pin. Once this happens more than likely the hood will bend before the hinges move. The only other thing might be to put some heat on the hinges but be carefull or you will warp the hood.

Since you had steel hood chrome strips that must be a 50 - 60 or 90 series hood. they are hard to find.