stalling in heavy traffic

122838B

My 90 Reatta stalls and dies in traffic and it is getting harder to restart. Today it stalled in the middle of a major intersection in Washington, D.C. even after the car was thorougly warmed up. It then started dying when I took my foot off the accelerator. The engine service light is mostly on. A service station mechanic changed the idle air control valve and the fuel and air filters and cleaned up a lot of carbon residue. He put in fuel injector cleaner and changed the relays. He said codes do not show anything wrong. Could this be caused by a clogged catalytic converter? Does it need a fuel pump? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the advice concerning the fuel pressure regulator. Just where on top of the engine is it and what does it look like. Is it expensive? I got to tell you this Reatta is not improving my relationship with my wife, what with all its recurring and new problems. It only has 57,000 miles but it has far more problems than my "Italian" 1986 Alfa Spider.

Guest inthespot

Ok.... on the picture I can see where the Seafoam port is. The seafoam that I have used is liquid that you pour out of a can. How you get the product into the port?

Guest smith356

Did this myself Wednesday after reading Gregs' post. It was very easy, but I didn't squeeze the tube tight enough first time. It killed the engine and blew Sea Foam back out of the can and all over me ! Did it again by bending the tube over and it worked fine. Put in a third of a can and then the rest in the tank. It is definately idling better now - smoothed it out. $6 and change at Autozone. Go for it..................

Just do as Vincent Vega says. I've never done it myself. I've only used SeaFoam in the gas tank. I pointed out the "SeaFoam Port" because of statements from other posters. Another way to introduce the product would be to pour the contents into an empty spray bottle (old Windex sprayer), remove the black breather tube from the throttle body and while racing the engine, spray it into the throat. That way you would also be cleaning the honeycomb screen, the MAF sensor filaments and the throttle plate.

Just my 2 cents.

Guest mongeonman

I used seafoam in gas tank and in "seafoam port" and it has a lot more power and it idles much better,when i poured the seafoam in the air intake i saw smoke comming out of the EGR valve,the metal base of the valve was cracked,i changed it and the car idles even better now,not perfect but ok.I still have half a tank of gas mixte with seafoam,maybe it is going to get better yet.

• 9 months later...
Guest imported_JohnW

[quote name=Another way to introduce the product would be to pour the contents into an empty spray bottle (old Windex sprayer), remove the black breather tube from the throttle body and while racing the engine, spray it into the throat. That way you would also be cleaning the honeycomb screen, the MAF sensor filaments and the throttle plate.

Has anyone tried spraying seafoam into the honeycomb screen? I thought previous posts warn against spraying anything on or near the MAF sensor!

I used a spray bottle and sprayed it right through the screen. It didn't hurt anything. I have also used the vacuum line to suck it in.

I can't say Seafoam made any difference in the way my engine ran. I didn't have any problems to start with. Maybe my intake system was not dirty. I just did it as preventive maintenance.