Overflowing gas tank!

Aaron65

Hey all,

The gas tank on my '53 Special will actually spill out of the filler tube if the back end sits in the sun for a period of time. It's happened even when I had used 2 or 3 gallons of gas driving. It has a vented cap on it...what's going on??? Oh yeah, the cap works too...

Simple, heat expands liquids.

In the older systems, there is no specific expansion chamber in the tank's shape (no "expansion dome" on the top of the tank as the top of the tank usually conformed to the bottom of the trunk floor, which was flat) for this to happen, so the only place it can "expand" is out the vented fuel filler cap. On many tanks, there is also a "vent" that goes up over the rear axle area, sometimes, but others chose to use the "anti-surge" vented fuel cap instead. If it didn't go out the vented filler cap, it would push the fuel into the carb or somewhere else!

Also, when fuel is dipensed from the pump, it's not "ambient" temperature, but somewhat cooler. Therefore, some expansion will take place anyway, just that it can become more noticeable if the vehicle is filled and parked rather than driven. One reason to not fill it past the second automatic turn-off of the nozzle.

On a reality issue, though, if you fill the car and then drive it about 20 miles, it should not be a problem . . . unless there's something else at work here, which can include the delayed change to summer gas (which would have a little higher vaporization point than winter gas?) in your area. But if you fill it from a gas can and fill it "to the brim", what you describe CAN happen as ambient temperatures rise.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Thanks NTX--I was hoping it was just another quirk of the vehicle...my 60s cars don't do that, but I've found that my '53 is a completely different animal...also, I never fill it up past the first click!