Freeze plugs leaking

I had the same trouble on a 51 DeSoto six. 2 freeze plugs on the left side of the engine were seeping at the bottom. Turns out they were rusted through.

The ones on my car were flat discs of metal. These are not so easy to get anymore, I had to try 3 or 4 auto parts stores but an old store still had them in stock. Seems to me that mine were 15/16 dia.

To take out the old ones you drive a punch in the middle and pry them out. Be careful not to damage the edges of the hole, the rusty plug should come out easy. If not you can punch a hole in the middle, drive in a big self tapping screw and pry them out that way.

The water jacket on my engine had an inch or so of "mud" so I washed it out with a pressure washer. Then dried off the holes and set the new plugs in place.

The plugs have a dome shape. Put some sealer on the edge and set the plug in place with the dome out. Tap gently around the edge to be sure it is set in place, then using a big drift and a hammer give it a few whacks in the middle. This flattens out the dome and expands the plug tightly into place.

There is another type plug with a cup shape. They go in in a similar fashion. You will see what type you have when you look close. Both types are still available. Just measure the size and you should be able to get some at a local parts store like NAPA.

I don't think it is possible to reset them. Normally they only fail when rusted out or pushed out by freezing. They aren't hard to replace provided you can get at them, not usually a big deal on a flathead straight 6 or 8.

Guest toybox99615

Expansion plugs (freeze plugs to some or core plugs to the knowledgeable) are pretty standard items for any parts house. There are two general types most often found on old Dodge engines. The first are nothing more than a disc while the second are more like a cup with a very short side. NAPA or any parts house should have them in stock. The secret is to clean the surrounding block area before you replace them. Lost of the old timers (when I was a kid, now I'm the old timer) I worked with back in the 60's would use a bit of Aviation gasket cement on the block before the installed the new plug.

Basically with the dished side facing out on the new plug you just have to place a large faced punch in the middle and give it a whack with a hammer. If you drive the punch to hard you will go to far and the plug will fall out. Depending on where the plug is located in the block it can be a real issue getting to them.

I would strongly recomend you consider replacing all the plugs. It sounding like the one that leak are warning you that they are rushing through. If two are leaking the rest will follow. If one actual falls out you will have an instant overheated block and could end up with a cracked block.