HELP! Is it a 30 or 31

oldhauler

The easiest way is to see what serial number is on your title or bill of sale. The original engine number would have been the vehicle's serial number. The number on your title should correspond with the manufacturing date as found on the Model A Ford Club of America's website.

web page

Thanks for the information, but I forgot to mention a few things. The pickup in question was not assembled when I bought it. There was no paperwork, ID tags & I was told the engine is not the original. Is there a physical feature(recessed area/body reveal) on the 30 or 31 roadster pickup cab that separates it from the other. Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Frank

Hauler, check your dash - if you have an oval speedometer you have an early 30. Round can be late 30 or 31. If you have the splash panels that go between the running board & body here is another hint. I am pretty sure the splash's on a p/u differ like a passenger car does. If it is one piece, it is '31, two pieces together, with a "seam" - '30.

There may be a couple other differences specific to the p/u body but let us know how you make out before I hit the books...

Steve,

Thanks for the info. here's the deal. I have some parts that hint that my pickup is a 31 roadster. I have a wide box bed & one piece splash aprons. Most of the parts are primered the same color,which doesn't confirm anything. Correct me if I'm wrong,but doesn't a 30 or 31 fuel tank fit both year cabs? That's why I'm trying to stick to identifying the bare cab first without any removable parts. I was told by one guy that a late 31 had a teardrop shaped recess on the firewall where the fuel valve would sit. So with the fuel tank & doors removed is there anyway to identify just the bare cab?

Frank

I am pretty sure the tanks are the same. The indented firewall may help, but I believe that is only for late '31. Have you tried Ahooga or Fordbarn? This is a great forum but there is not a lot of Model "A" discussion here. One of those guys may be able to be of more help. Are you planning on restoring? Hopefully - even though these are reproduced it is a rare and desirable body style - not too many made and not too many unrestored original roadster P/Us around anymore, sir!

From what you have listed, I would bet it is a 1931. The one piece shield went into production in September of 1930. As Steve stated, The indented firewall would also be a 1931 item. There are also other subtle differences between the two, such as the radiator shroud.

But, if it is disassembled, that should make it easy. The serial number is on the top of the left frame rail to the left of the engine compartment. It cannot be seen with the body assembled, but if the body is off of the frame, you should see it on top of the frame rail. The number should be able to be matched up with the month and year of manufacture.