Service Engine Soon, surging, stumbles

bobwhite

Not feeling too well, I thought I would ask if anyone has had the same problems before I start digging into the codes and try to figure out whats wrong. 1990 Reatta, about 110,000 miles. CA car, no rust, garaged, have service manual. This morning, service engine light stayed on a lot longer than usual before going out. Now light cycles, comes on for a while, goes off, then comes on again. While light is on, engine surges when idling, when driving, it stumbles when gas pedal is depressed before it accelerates. Only problem in last ten years was the MAF sensor. 02 sensor is original. Codes haven't been looked at or cleared in years, should I clear the codes, then see what sets?

I get what appears to be:

E031C & H

E034C & H

The rest are H

B119H

B482H

B552H

R025H

R034H

It looks like I have MAF sensor problems again. It was replaced 7/05. Is there a recommended brand of rebuilt I should buy? I'll follow the instructions in previous postings to see if cleaning the wires helps.

Guest Greg Ross

02 Sensor should probably be replaced, normal service interval is usually every time you do spark plugs.

The MAF is a fairly pricey little devil as I recall, are you going looking for new or used? Can't imagine there's a remanufatured one available. When removing and cleaning be very careful, use a soft bristle brush, something like the Wifes' make-up brush! Wash and dry, she'll never know!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ...something like the Wifes' make-up brush! Wash and dry, she'll never know! </div></div>

Years ago, a co-worker named "Tony" and I were talking about various means of removing facial hair. We hit upon the new twin blade shavers and I said I didn't care for them because they clogged up with hair. He suggested using a tooth-brush to remove the hairs and that it worked pretty well. I said I didn't think I'd like using the tooth brush again after using it to clean the hair out of the blades. He said it didn't bother him at all because he used his wife's tooth-brush.

I tapped the MAF sensor with the wooden back of a screwdriver and the engine quit. It started up again, so I was wondering if that is normal. I've never tapped a known good sensor, so I don't know what should happen. I cleaned the wires, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Can any other part set a E034 code besides the MAF sensor?

It shouldn't quit or stumble when you tap on it. Generally it will quit if you disconnect it while running but will start and run with it disconnected. It will usually quit or stumble if connected while the engine is running also. It sounds like it is ill and no amount of cleaning will help.

• 2 weeks later...

I received a Delco rebuilt MAF & O2 sensor today from gmpartsdirect. I put the MAF sensor in and cleared the codes. What a difference. The sensor must have been going bad for some time. It hadn't been running quite right for a few months until it finally became hard to drive. I disconnected it and drove it only when necessary. I also replaced the IAC unit I had bought on eBay. I will put the O2 sensor in tomorrow. I took it out for a long ride and it didn't set any E codes at all, and no more service engine light.

Forget my 6/30 post that cleaning the throttle body caused by surging and stalling problem. It recurred and I have since changed (on 7-14) the idle air control valve, which so far seems to have been the problem. However, I want to give it a couple weeks to see if there are any more surprises.