1990 Reatta For Sale

Gary...most of the folks on this board are real Reatta afficionados...they know these cars! Accordingly, most of them are well-versed on their valuations. Just for references' sake, Jerry in CA bought a 40,000 mile '90 Maui Blue convertible several months ago for $11000 and change; I bought a '90 Claret convertible in August with 29,335 miles for $12,500. If you are really interested in selling your car on this forum, pricing it realistically is the name of the game. I also have a '90 Red coupe with 83,000 miles that is probably one of the nicest examples on the street...she's been pampered since I took her off the showroom floor in Sept. of '90. But, if I were to consider selling her (which I'm not ), I could expect to get no more than $5000-$5500 for her years and mileage. Disclaimer: I DO NOT mean to offend, just inform.

Guest Buick Mike

This is not meant to offend either, but... I think it's a bit presumptuous to offer unsolicited advice as to a sellers asking price for a vehicle. If you think the price is too high don't buy it. If you bought a car for less, good job, but your transaction does not set the market price. I have seen people ask stupid high prices for cars AND GET THEM! I know your intentions were good, but the seller will learn soon enough what the market value is. There is nothing wrong with starting high and hoping to get lucky.<P>Mike

I agree, there is nothing wrong with starting high - just look at all of the "for sale" signs on Florida houses this time of year.<P>OTOH Gotta's point was that you cannot expect a high price from a listing in a publication directed at Florida Real Estate Agents - there no-one is going to pay retail.<P><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Any</span></span> specialized list - be it on Reattas, Fieros, Zenith Transoceanic Radios is going to be like that.<P>Now this is probably the right place to sell an out-of-the-ordinary car - a #1 or #2 or one someone really wants to unload reasonably (U$5k or less asking for a coupe even if nice), but not an average car with little information, moderate miles, and insufficient displayed knowlege of the marque (suspect that "light blue" is Maui Blue).<P>Don't feel bad, have seen the same thing happen on any number of specialized newsgroups, just learn from the experience.<P>Finally, the right time to sell an "upscale" convertible is near graduation time in May and June when birds are birding and trees are treeing and the world is young again, not deep in December when Christmas bills and threat of ressession are looming (true even in Florida).<P>Now there are plusses to a Tennessee car particularly if you can document its history as that is a "low rust" area but you need to provide pictures or a URL and specifically state what has been done - Reatta requiress certain maintenance/replacement items periodically and showing that these have been done (not going to list, can just read the postings) demonstrates two things:<BR>a) the car has been properly maintained<BR>B) the owner knew how to properly maintain it.<P><BR>Still the way prices are going this year, you will probably be lucky to get over U$10k and the car has one big minus - it is not a '91.

I used to be annoyed at people who wanted a lot of $ for their Reatta, but now I believe that a seller can ask whatever he wants. Personally, I don't think anyone can get $16,500 for a 1990 Reatta with 62,500 miles on it, but you never know. An interested buyer who has never seen a Reatta convertible before might snap up the car without bargaining. It's interesting to watch traderonline.com or excite.com to see people who ask too much, don't get it, and the price drops in subsequent ads, first by a hundred dollars, then by five hundred, until it finally sells. The Reatta is a nice car, but when all is said and done it really is just a used car. Its value really lies in its intrinsic collector appeal.

This is a web-based newslist. Was commenting to the entire list about lists in general. Have seen the same compaints on many.<P>Really the best way to get high dollar is from someone who has never had an X always wanted an X and does not care what X costs.<P>Them's ain't hyar.

Padgett: thanks, that was exactly my point. Buick Mike: refer back to the first two sentences of my post. EVERYONE: I would like to thank you all for all the advice ever posted on this board, solicited or UNsolicited...mechanical or marketing. I know I have benefitted greatly from all facts AND opinions on this board, be they popular or unpopular! BOTH brands contribute to my enlightenment and enjoyment of this forum, and I hope it never changes. And I'll be damned if I will ever use inherently incendiary words like "presumptuous" in ANY posting on this board. That's a promise. <P>Kim in FL.

Guest Buick Mike

Gotta... As to the knowledge level of the board members... I don't know how many members there are, but only a tiny fraction actually post. And even of those who do post, not everyone has a clue. Therefore, to ascribe group expertise based on a scientifically invalid statistical sample is, well..., the "P" word. <P>Secondly... if I want to put my light blue '90 coupe up for sale and ask $10,000, I would certainly not appreciate anyone posting to me and the world that I am out of line and telling me how much I should ask. I know it's not worth $10,000, but that's how much I want to ask... maybe I'll get it. If I wanted pricing advice I'd ask for pricing advice. To assume that I am ignorant and giving me advice I did not ask for is, well..., the "P" word.<P>Lastly... presumptuous\adj. overstepping due bounds; taking liberties. Hardly what I'd call an inherently incendiary word. Perhaps it just struck a chord with you.<P>Mike

Oy Vay, Mike....I have a "P" word for you, too. PROZAC! May bring you down off that ledge you're teetering on. This is my last post on this thread regardless of your reply...and I'm sure it'll be a doozy!!

Dammit, Padgett, don't knock the Doozy. It was one of Yugo's finest models, strategically/demographically positioned between the Yugo Trailblazer and the Yugo GT (incidentally, a fine and true sports car).<BR>It would have been a successful machine had it not been for the bombings that destroyed the plant.<P>Jerry Sellers

Guest trofeo73

I can attest to some people asking for outragous prices on cars. I looked at another 89 Trofeo with 20K less than mine WITHOUT the touch screen computer that was 3800 more than what I paid for mine.( paid 3900 for mine with 90K) I would say too that my car was in just as good of condition. That is exactly why I went to Kansas City to buy my car instead of in Springfield where you get ripped off. I have seen SOOOOOOOOOO many Reattas for crazy prices down here as well. ie. a 90 Reatta with 130k for 7800! I hate to have bought one here when they were just a couple years old. I have yet to see a convertable here though........I bet it would be terribly overpriced.

HEY DUDES... I gotta just jump in here for a quickie wink.gif" border="0 I don't think I can handle all this metaphysical stuff... sounds like fun though... and isn't that what life's all about. Lets not get toooo serious with ourselves, BUT I do have a real nice Select 60 with 85k that I'd let go for $75,000 cash check or S&H green stamps grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0<p>[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: burkieboy ]

I say, get what you can. The only problem I have is that 2 years ago, I bought a 90 maui blue convertible with black top, (I believe it is the ONLY one made; please someone prove me wrong) in really decent condition in and out, but high mileage for $8,000. I doubt I could get $6,250 today. Everybody wants top dollar until they really want to sell, then they can't sell! I do love these cars but the only buyers are the ones who already have one.