ABS control module

Guest wally888

Would be interesting to know, how you know,<BR>you need a new EBCM?<BR> I have used the forum for several years and remember few failed modules.

Guest wally888

Jim,<BR> Hope he has better luck than I sometimes have.<BR> Several years ago I started the Brake Article because of sloppy diagnosis by an independent and a dealer. The antilock light was on and the independent, after spending a day w/ VOM, said I had a bad ground connection behind the dash. To fix he would need to remove the dash. ( at that time I knew little, not much more now) I said I'd fix it myself and started reading the manual, etc. Replacing the relay, $8, fixed the problem!

Very important, replace the relays first! If you go through the factory testing procedure for the ABS system, if happens to miss insufficient current flow through the main(or pump) relay. The trouble chart uses dvom readings through an unloaded relay, and that test doesn't work. <P> I've been a buick mechanic for 10+ years now, and I mistakingly relaced an ebcm on a Reatta for this condition when I first started by being taught to strictly follow published service manual tests. It was under warranty, so the customer didn't get hurt, but ever since, I just studied the schematic and fixed the car. I get constant complaints from the warranty clerk(devil woman Helen) for not having a published procedure for my diagnostics. Can't win, Can't win. Thanks for the complaint space!<P> Anyway, swap the pump and main relay, located front and center of the firewall, under the hood, and it might temporarily relieve the problem. There might be three relays, one would be the fuel pump, but let us know. ebcm failure is quite rare on these, but murphy's law dictates that it can and does happen.

Wally,<BR>I talked to Chuck and he told me that the service person at the dealership checked his car and determined it was the ECBM. I am sending him one and I mentioned the same thing to him, that I have only sold 3 of them in the past as they don't go bad very often. One of the ones I sold I heard back from the lady who purchased it and it did fix her problems. Like many electronic parts one day they are working and the next day they're not.<BR>Jim

Are you guys saying the ABS warning light stays on because of an $8 relay? Mine has been on for 10 years and I have spent many days without my car while it was at the Buick dealer or other garages over the years and no one ever found the problem. The brakes work fine and were tested several times.<P>Jack Talsky

Guest wally888

Jack,<BR> You can go to site below, determine where relays are located, ( different years, different locations), switch the relays to test. Then check for codes at ALDL. All very simple and quick.

1) <B><I>Anything</I></B> that causes an error during the ABS self-test will turn the yellow light on (am assuming the red light turning off withing 30 seconds of key on).<P>2) When the yellow light is on, the ABS is disabled - you have conventional power brakes.<P>3) There are over a hundred pages in section 5E and 5E1 of the '88 service manual (ABS). There is a reason.<P>4) How to read the ALDL trouble codes (page 5E1-8) will require removing the ALDL cover and jumpering pin A & G. That actual process revires several stages of applying the jumper, removing the jumper, and wiggling your ears. Is best described in the FSM.<P>5) Did we mention you really, REALLY need the service manual ?<P>ps Just a question and not anything I have checked but since the ECBM is what turns the Yellow light on in the first place. If the ECBM fails, will the light still come on ?<p>[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: padgett ]

Mine was also diagnosed incorrectly when the yellow light was coming on most of the time (but not all the time). Just as the brakes section on the Reatta website suggests, replacing the main relay solved the problem. I would certainly invest the 10 bucks to see.

My ABS light has been on for years. After reading this forum about the Teves brake system failures, aren't I a lot better off not fixing it? In short, has anybody ever had a brake problem with the ABS disabled?