Power booster on drum brakes

Chenova

Ted is correct--drum brakes can fade with use (as they build up heat and the drums expand) and a power booster will not change that. one thing I have found important in older drum brake cars is that all parts need to be in prime condition and all adjustments have to be in spec to insure safety, especially with cars build before automatic adjusters were standard. I'm a big fan of converting over to silicone Dot-5 fluid, using new wheel cylinders (or re-sleeved originals if need be, using the innards of a modern cylinder)and a new master kit.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Silverghost

I agree with all that has been said...Drum brakes do heat-up and fade...

BUT...Power servos do help with brake effort

especially if you drive a modern car then get into your older car...You hit the brakes and are not used to non-power...thus you tend to run-up someone's back...scareing yourself to death!

Once used to power brakes...it is a hard transition back to non-power...drum or disc...

Many 4 wheel drum brake cars had power assist!!

I like them!!!

If you can find an old power servo...

Why not add it on!

OK.............if a driver can't mentally adjust to the pedal effort/feel of non-power brakes, how are they going to handle the additional stopping distance, the different steering response and the general handling characteristics (which are usually more top-heavy and less agile than most modern iron--not always, not 100% across the board).

Every driver that gets behind the wheel of <span style="text-decoration: underline">any</span> car has to be able to control it in all situations. Old cars handle the way they do, unless you go street rod and put a Mustang II front end and power disc brakes. I understand what you are saying, If the car could have come with power brakes, why not adapt a booster to your system as an upgrade. No big argument there, but you have to know what you are driving, what it can and can't do.