OAI Hood Stripe Color?

Dan30thz28

Hello,

I have a 70 Cutlass SX with an OAI hood, and have some questions about what color the stripes on the hood should be. I know that it wasn't originally equipped with this hood, but what would be the correct color for the hood? White or another color? I was thinking of doing white to be "factory correct", or silver/chrome to match the general color scheme of the car. Thanks and I look forward to your responses.

Sincerely,

The O.A.I. hood stripes could have been any of the avaible stripe colors that year. I'm pretty sure there was white, black, red, blue, and gold. I'm not sure about silver and yellow. There were recommendations as to which stripe colors were suggested with which paint colors, but those were only recommendations. I've seen some, ah, ORIGINAL color combinations...

Joe,

So if the car has a black vinyl top, black interior, and black exterior, what was the suggested OAI stripe color based on that criteria? I didn't know so many colors were available for the OAI striping when they were originally produced. Thanks and I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen White, Gold or Red on Factory Painted Black cars.

You get to choose since you have Black interior. The Red is not a Bright Red and looks good.

Hello,

Might be a silly question but what does OAI stand for. I have a 72 cutlass convertible, I want to get the ram air hood. I also see hoods that have what look like vents on the sides. Does OAI in some way mean the conventional ram air I am looking for.

I called a junkyard in which it listed OAI and they informed me that the hood had the vents not the scoops in which I was looking for.

Thanks for all the help!

OAI (Outside Air Induction) is Olds-speak for ram air. Depending on the year, it could be under the bumper, thru the grille, at the leading edge of hood, or an underhood snorkel that ducts cold air to the carb.

1972 uses the W25 fiberglass hood with scoops at leading edge. Very efficient ram air design. The hoods are available reproduction in several different quality levels. Thorntons are generally recognized as the closest to a factory hood.