Brake pedal goes to floor.....help

JWC

I have a 90 Reatta that the brake pedal goes to the floor slowly while applying pressure. I did the brake test and it pointed to a bad accumulator, but I replaced it with a known good one and I have the same problem.

Should I go ahead and just replace the whole Teves system? If so how hard is it to bleed these, and change them out?

"Goes to the floor" indicates leaking seals in the master cyinder, replacing the accummulator will not repair however if the car sat for a while, sometime use and bleeding the brakes will just heal. Make sure there is no brake fluid leaking where the rod goes from the brake pedal through the firewall.

I have noted that several people have indicated the pedal goes to the floor and wonder if this is true or incorrect assumption. Is it possible that the hard pedal leads them to believe they are on the floor? I have talked to lots of people about brake problems and I can't think of one that actually had a bad master cylinder.

Trying to help someone fix their problem is contingent upon getting good information........just thinking out loud

Guest wally888

I have seen good systems whose pedal goes to the floor, slowly!

If the brake test results are good, I suspect you have a good system but probably needs bled-if you have not flushed recently, flush.

Barney I know what your saying but when I push on the brake pedal it feels good for a few seconds then I feel the pedal slowly working it's way until it's all the way down to the floor. I will try bleeding the brakes this weekend and re-post with results.