Lost Keys

Guest amh

I have decided after 30 years of storing my 41 Zephyr to ressurect it. However, I have lost the keys. Can someone give me some advice on how to open a locked (with the key) drivers door - without the key!

Any sggestions on what to do with the ignition lock? I suppose I could drill it and then replace it - but I would prefer to avoid that if possible. Thanks. AMH LZOC #323

AMH; I don't know where you live but Almost Every City has a Lock Smith that can

come and Pick and Unlock the Door For you ..He will also Be Able to make a Key For

That Lock and The Ignition Lock .. Although it May cost You a Few Dollars , in The

Long Run It will Cost Less Than Replacing A Lock when It's almost Impossible To Find !!

It's certainly a Route I Would Take ..There Are Also KEY BLANKS Avaiable ..Jesser Keys

in Akron Ohio Has Them ..

Guest imported_V12Bill

You will have a tough time opening the door that was locked with the key. Lincolns had two ways of locking the doors. 1 with the key and 2 with the inside push knob. Both systems used separate mechanical systems to lock and unlock the doors and they are not interconnected. If the other door was not locked with a key, get it open and remove the lock cylinder from the door. There is an allen set screw that holds the cylinder in the door. Loosen it and remove the cylinder. With any luck the cylinder is original to the car as is the ignition lock ,they take the same key , and a key can be made from the door cylinder using the lock code that is stamped into the cylinder side. If you ever wrote to the Henry Ford and got the build sheet on your car, it will have the codes on the build sheet. Go to an old time locksmith who might still have the code books and he will make the correct key from the code. Jessers can also make a key by the code for about $60.00

Bill is right on the money with his analysis. If you're lucky, both of the doors and the ignition will use the same key. However, on both of my '41 Zephyrs, the setscrew that holds the door lock cylinder is slotted, not Allen. Allen would be preferable, since the probablility of losing the setscrew down inside the door will be minimized. Be careful!!!

Getting into the trunk will be another matter. If you have the code for the trunk key, you're in luck. If not, it's an interesting problem. I ended up removing the trunk hinges (on both cars) and prying the trunk open from the top until the latch popped loose. It's VERY TIGHT and probably will NOT yield easily. Good Luck!!

Guest imported_V12Bill

Oh, you need the trunk too? Better get the build sheet from Ford for this one. Otherwise remove the lock cylinder and have the key made from the code stamped in the lock cylinder. I am not sure of the 41, but on the 42 to 48 Zephyr there is a pin that goes into the latch casting under the lock cylinder. To remove this pin, drill a 1/8 " hole in the center of it and screw in a slide hammer screw and slide hammer the pin out . You may have to remove the rear bumper and gravel guard to have enough room to work the slide hammer.

Guest peter_smith

Hello A M H. I had this problem a while ago with a 37 zephyr, the keys had been lost long before I bought the car, If you do manage to get the numbers off the barrels, don't bother with Jessers, they are insane prices, I got mine from Dvogelauto@aol.com . Douglas Vogel. 4779 meadow bank. P O box355. Dexter. Michigan 48130. An original Hurd key for $23.00, or a reproduction for $13.00. Regards. Peter Smith, United Kingdom.

Guest imported_V12Bill

I have found that the glove box lock only has about three tumblers were as all the other locks have 5 tumblers. It is true that the glove box key will open the trunk, but it uses all 5 tumberlers for the trunk and only 3 for the glove box. The glove box cylinder does have a code on it so if your locksmith has the codes going back to the 40's he will be able to make a key.

A "Slim Jim" MIGHT work if the door is locked from inside with the push button.

Since this door is locked with a key, there's NO WAY that a "Slim Jim" will work! Take a look at the attached photo to see what is involved. The key simply slides a little chunk of metal up and down in a completely sealed guide which is totally inaccessable from any place else except the hole the lock cylinder goes into.

Without the key codes, the only solution I can think of is to have a locksmith pick the lock and make a key, which should also fit the ignition.

Good Luck!

post-32768-143137924522_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the answers. I did find a local lock smith who had the key blanks for the ignition! I now have an ignition and door key. Next up is the trunk!