1905 Models

JO BO

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest pknighton

In a speech by Benjamin Brisco in 1909, he recounted that there were 300 Model L's made 1905 and the rest were H's for a total of 500 cars in 1905. That conflicts with some of the other info I see, but it was from the horses mouth so to speak.

My 1905 L Srl No. 245 was so stamped on the rear end, which is unique to the earlist Maxwells becasue the rear end housings are cast aluminum instead of cast iron. My 1910 AA is also serial number stamped on its cast iron rear end and the serial number matches the Maxwell ID plate on the body and the stamped number AA6283 on the top enger cover plate. Tom Thoburn told me his 1905 was likely in the first 80 or so because the body sheet metal wraps around the oak wooden frame. He felt they gave up on that design pretty early because it was weak and went mid-1905 production year on the L series to the channel steel frame like they had used on all the H series touring cars. Point being you can hardly tell a post wooden frame 1905 from a 1906 Maxwell L series roadster. The sales literature and parts book does call the 1906 L series an LA. I would expect to see LA in front of a serial number somewhere on the car, particularly on the top engine plate cover. Tom's had been replaced by a later one and his information was the original top engine plates were weak and most cracked when tightened down. Mine also had been replaced with one from a 1907 engine.

This may or may not help anyone trying to date an early Maxwell. I will send a copy of Briscoe's speech if you'll email me an address.

Phil Knighton