Rear bumper on 29 Tudor

dwollam

I recently bought a 29 Tudor Sedan. It has 30-31 19" wheels, steering column and wheel, and 30-31 rear bumpers. My question is will the 29 bumper bars fit on the 30-31 brackets or will I need to get new brackets as well. Don't really care too much about the wrong year but both front and rear bumpers chrome is shot so if I replace them I would like correct ones. Front is 29. Engine is May 1930. Car is indeed a 29.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave, I think it would be very difficult to have 29-29 bumperettes on 30-31 brackets, and if you could get them on, I do not think it would look right. If you look at the shape of the '28-'29s, they "hook in" quite a bit where the end would mount to the brackets. I think the '30-'31 brackets would come out too far to work. I believe the rear bumper brackets differ a bit by body style as well as by the two series of model year. A couple years ago at Hershey I was looking for both front and rears for my '30 - slightly used better than new for my 30 year old reso - anyway, I tripped over '28 - '29s for two days - of course, if I wanted the '28- '29s it would be the other way around! Since prices are simillar I totally agree with your strategy, car will look much better with the right ones on there.

Used brackets are around and generally cheaper than the repros. The only other thought - buy the bumperettes first and then try them, but I am 99% sure it won't work to your satisfaction..

You probably already know this, but the 19s tend to be a bit sturdier, although you trade a little top end speed with the shorter tires for better handling. You could move those with no problem if you decide to go to 21s.