Early Differential Gears

1918Buick

I am trying to locate a good used ring and pinion set for a 1917 Buick D-45 (6 cylinder touring) owned by a friend of mine. I recently placed ads in the Bugle and in Hemming's. I'd like to know whether the 4 cylinder cars used the same rears- and also- how many years would interchange? I'm pretty sure the 1916 through 1919 6 cylinder rears will work. (When I brought my 1918 E45 home from New York State I purchased an extra 1919 rear axle- only to find it was hollow when I got it home and opened it up. It did have brake links which worked on my 1918- so it appears that it would have worked.) If any one has any ideas- or sources for parts- it would put another Buick back on the road. We had just fabricated a new leather cone clutch for the car- when - on the second test ride- the ring gear started losing teeth-the result- I think- of hard shifting with the previous bad clutch.

Sounds to me like you may have to have the gears made. I've seen this add in the Horsless Carriage Gazette. Maybe they can help. Industrial Sprockets & Gears, the Phone Number is, 562-921-7840. They are based in Santa Fe Springs. CA. Also you may want to consider the 1916/1917 Buick/ McLaughlin News Letter. C/O Dean G. Tryon, 2516 Laurelford Ln., Wake Forest, NC 27587. Someone in the group may have something. Good Luck, Dave!