Olds engine i.d.

Guest Oracle

This one has me stumped: someone asked me:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Hello there I am wondering if you could help me I am trying to find out the year of the engine my father purchased. I have searched all over the internet but can't find anything but then I probably don't know what to look for exactly. The casting number is 568922 and the engine number is N9127382. If you could find this information for me it would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to hearing the results.

It's a V-8. We think it's a 324 cid with green vavle covers. We think its a 56 oldsmobile and that number the n912 is under left manifold right on the block.

</div></div>

Any ideas please?

Thanks for making me sing that song in my mind!

I just cannot find anything so far on whether this engine is a '56 324 or not...no-one seems to have the casting numbers online to view!

You want the "Blocks" subsection of the FAQ - http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofblk.htm#Blocks

You're looking for casting 568922, which the FAQ lists as 54-56 324.

Now, to open up a can of worms, I'm pretty sure the FAQ is wrong on this number. I've got a 324 with a 56<span style="font-weight: bold">3</span>922 casting number. Can you get whomever is inquiring to check their casting number again? I seem to remember this coming up earlier on another board (HAMB, maybe?)

post-49687-143137918094_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_pete324rock

The number stamped on my engine block(56 olds 324) is v1327479 located on the drivers side but that would be a serial number maybe?. The bellhousing is 567405 and the crank is 567948. All original-pretty sure.

Guest BobOlds

Sure that the "N" isn't really a "V"? The 1956 Motor Manual shows 1956 Olds block serial numbers started with V1000001. The stamped number on the block between cylinders 5 and 7 is the serial number.

I've got the "Standard Catalog of Oldsmobile" out, and it must be wrong...

Sez '55 engines are numbered from V400001 to V983275

and that '56 engines are numbered A001001 through A385513

But it also sez that '57s were numbered A001001 and up, and I can't believe '56 and '57 would use the same numbering system.

Paul

• 12 years later...

Hello somebody can help me please. 

I have an oldsmobile motor with this casting number V 242506 and Block number 563922 Do you know what kind of engine is that and year?

Thank you!!!

20190221_211110.jpg