Sign in to follow this  
63riviera

'63 Riviera 700R4 trans.

Hey RivNut, they may be on Dave Gee's facebook page, but there is no link so give Duck2 a break and post the link to the correct Dave Gee. There are more than you think.

I would be interested in as much info in this as there is, too. I have a 200r4 waiting for a performance rebuild.

I'm finally back in town (been on spring break) and have access to Dave's facebook page. Click on the first and second pictures in the upper left to find the pictures of Dave's build. I don't know which page or where on the page the pictures of the crossmember modifications are. There are NO dimensions given, just pictures.

1965 Buick Riviera | Facebook

More important than the linkage is the hook-up and adjustment of the TV cable. If it's not right, you burn up a transmission in less than two blocks.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

That's a cool page. Thanks for the link. Couldn't tell if the black one was ever finished. Spent about 45 minutes reading all the comments. I like the headlight tech, too.

I just looked at a website that I've known about but haven't looked at for a while. Herb at Shiftworks may have a solution for you.

SHIFTWORKS - 1964-72 Buick Shifter

Take a look at what he has for a 64 - 67 Buick using the original shifter. You may have to find a shifter from a '64 or 65 and bolt the the tunnel in your '63 but this appears to make things a lot easier. I'm definitely going to check this out rather than trying to use the '85 Monte Carlo shifter I now have. I talked with Herb about this some time ago and at that time he had no interest; I'd given up on him. Time does amazing things.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Good find, Ed! I like the idea of an original car, but with fuel prices the way they are the 200-4R sounds better each day and this is icing on the cake.

A 200-4R has a .67 overdrive. If you have an original 3.23 rear end, you'll wind up with a 2.16 final drive. That's a pretty high speed rear and you might be lugging the engine quite a bit at highway speeds. You might want to consider something like a 3.42 which would give you a 2.29 final drive - still low. I happen to have a 3.91 gear set for mine which will give me a 2.62 final drive, but WOW what a gear for acceleration. Gears for these rear ends are 9 3/8" ring gears and the only thing out there is OE stuff. One option would be to find a 59" flange to flange Ford 9" and weld the brackets from an OE rear end to it so you couold have a good choice of gears (easy way to get a posi too.) What I've thought about doing is getting a completer rear assembly from a Ford Explorer - 59" flange to flange, disk brakes, 3.73 rear gears, and posi. They're cheap and available.

Ed

Be aware the ford explorer rear is offset to the right. The mustange guys use the right hand side axels and the explorer disc set ups for enexpensive 5lug disc brake conversions

Doing research for a 200 4-R swap, glad I found this thread! Any other shifters that fit under the stock console of a 63? Does anyone have the dimensions of the stock 63 shifter assembly? I haven't taken mine apart yet.

Anyone know the major differences between the EELCO adapters and Bendtsen's?

Thanks in advance.

Marcel

I haven't used either but I didn't think you could get the Eelco anymore. Also from the talk on the various boards it seems that bendstens may be a better fit and finish. Again I have no firsthand experience with either...yet.