1941 Buick Trunk Question

Guest 41buick

Guest 41buick

I own a 1941 Buick Special convertible and I was wondering if anyone could help me with a couple of questions I have. When I lift the trunk lid only the left trunk support arm locks to hold the trunl lid up. I'm assuming that both of the right and left trunk support arms are supposed to assist in holding the trunk lip up. I've looked at the right support arm and pushed the tab in and out and it works freely but won't lock when I let go of the trunk lid,so only the left suppoet is holding up the trunk. Any advice on how to fix this? ALso, the trunk lid seems very heavy when I lift it open. Is it normal for the trunk lid to feel quite heavy, when lifting it open? Any advice in regard to these issues is very much appreciated. Thank you mike 41buick

• 6 years later...
Guest Barneys_Bud

If you can find another arm or the little spring from another arm you are set.

However I have danced this dance once before. Yes both arms should be latching. If you take a close look at the one that is working you will find a small piece of metal with an odd shape (almost kidney shaped) with a small flat metal spring behind it. That is the part that kicks it into the locking position as the arm extends. I would hazard a guess that that little spring is either broken or missing on the side that does not work. You will need to remove the side that is not working and drill out the rivet that keeps the assembly from coming apart. Then you will need to take a look at the spring on the good arm and copy that for the bad side. Fear not, it can be done. You will need to go through your junk drawer and find an old windshield wiper arm. Most of them have a piece of spring steel that supports the rubber. That, I have found is just about prefect for the new spring. I would suggest that you cut it much longer than you need and begin bending from the middle out. The hardest part will be the notch in the middle that locates the spring. Once that is bent you can easily work your way to the ends. You will probably end up making two or three before you get one you like. When you get all done you will need to replace the rivet. I used a number 10 screw and a self locking nut.

Anyway that is what fixed that for me.

• 2 months later...

As a side question, I have a 1941, model 41 (special 4 door sedan.) Should there be two trunk supports? I hear mention of two supports, however my car only has one on the left side (drivers side) of the car. There doesnt seem to be any evidence of a second. Am I missing one? Or was there only 1?

When I first purchased my '39, the two sides were not in sync. When you raised it deck lid, one side would latch and the other would not....repeat the process and you never knew which side would latch. I removed the side that seemed to be the worst and cleaned with WD-40 then sprayed is some lube. It seemed to work so I reinstalled and that side was working. Being lazy, I just lubed the other side on the car, worked it a few times and both sides have been good for several years.

I would suggest the simple method first....clean and lube