Help how to Get rear tail light lens off of D2 1936 dodge

Adcap

I haven't taken the tail light lense off of mine, however, I have taken the headlight lenses off. I found the process to be to loosen the screw on the bottom all the way till it is completely loose, then cup both hands on the face of the lense, fingers down and thumbs up. Push in on the bottom with your fingers and sort of peel down or rock downwards, like you are trying to shift the bottom in (meaning into the light body) and the top out towards you. If you do this bit by bit, it becomes easier to shift. The lense sort of curls out of the light housing from the top. The hardest part seemed to be to initially loosen it from the housing. Once it began to move, it became a job of going slow to understand what was happening.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give that a try. My lights are very dim so I want to check the wires and make sure I have good grounds. I've replaced my battery cables with #0 wire and run a ground from the block to the body. This only made a slight difference in the brightness according to my light meter. I also want to try Halogen bulbs to see if that helps. Any other suggestions?

Guest imported_RAH

Hi Guys,

I just checked with my source and have been told the '36 is done the same as the '35 I used to own. The process is put on a pair of leather gloves for protection. Next press gently in the center and while the lense is pressed in tilt it further in on top and the bottom should slide out. The lense is ovoid in that it is narrower in the middle and has retaining flange on top and bottom.

Good Luck.

Rodger "Dodger" Hartley

Thanks RAH. Leather gloves?!?! That's just it. I hate breaking stuff and especially hard to find stuff. In the past when I tried this it felt like I was applying enough pressure to break the lens and the lens still wasn't moving. Does anyone have an exploded view of these headlights so I could see what I'm pushing on?

• 4 years later...