Another one bites the dust ....

Hi all & 'happy labor day weekend'!<P>As luck would have it, it seems that damned (invisible) neon sign that says 'please, hit me, I need the hassle' has re-appeared. Friday afternoon ~2pm EST, while at a complete stop (waiting to turn into my driveway, nontheless), a Buick Century took the liberty of plowing the rear end of my white 1990 coupe (at over 30mph).<P>Needless to say, aside from obvious rearend damages, the left pillar between rear window & door is buckling, neither door lines up, gas cover mis aligned, front end is shifted a bit (hood/fender gap is now obviously different on both sides), does not brake/drive a straight line, shakes, driver's window jumped track & you can feel a/c blowing out the driver's side door handle .... I'd say she's toasted. I took lots of pix & will post 'em as soon as I have time/energy to do so.<P>~Brenda<P>PS - Overall, I'm ok. No major damages, but will be quite sore for sometime to come. Damned glad it wasn't the motorcycle I was riding.

Check out the pix .... <A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/gohighr/Crash.html" TARGET=_blank>http://hometown.aol.com/gohighr/Crash.html</A> <P>I'm sure the insurance company will total it, so if anyone is interested in it as a parts car, it is driveable, though not necessarily recommended. Make me an offer ... it's got 190k+ miles, motor was replaced a few months ago & the interior in burgundy.<p>[ 09-03-2001: Message edited by: Reatta2go ]

Brenda, I know I speak for all of us when I say we hope you're feeling better. <BR>You had mentioned about a parts car. Are you interested in parting it out? or did you want to sell it all in one piece. What is the condition of your burgandy drivers seat? Dusty

Brenda it seems like I remember reading almost the same thing in a previous post of Yours. De Ja Vue? Thank God You are Ok. There are other Reattas but only one Brenda.

Brenda,<P>UNFORTUNATELY, I know too well of which you speak! My 1972 Chevy El Camino SS was rearended at 40+ MPH while I sat at a red light. It was Memorial Day weekend of last year. It had a new GM Goodwrench engine and I had spent two years restoring it, getting looks, questions and purchase offers nearly every time I drove it. Is there something about holiday weekends that seems to bring out the idiot drivers more than other weekends????<P>The bad part about your car is not the damage you can see, but the damage that has yet to raise its ugly head. When your car was hit, it transmitted the vibration throughout the car. That vibration was transmitted through every circuit board of every computer and every wiring connection in the car. Just imagine your car as a giant tuning fork being whacked on someone's knee and you get the idea. That is why nearly all of the panel spacing is off. I'd strongly recommend you NOT try to save the car. Being the "computers-on-wheels" that they are, yours will likely have gremlins popping up for months to come, even if you fix all of the cosmetic damage.<P>There IS some good news in all of this. Like the Reatta, I didn't view my El Camino as just an average 28 year-old car. After some haggling, I got $7500 plus taxes and title fees for the car, kept it and sold the wreck for $1000. The moral is, don't accept the insurance company's first bid which I can almost gurantee will be low. Find out what your car is worth, and try to get within 85-95% of that amount. <P>Like others have said, sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you recover soon. <P>Joe

Hi Dusty - The interior of the car is in perty good shape & seats are still gorgeous (you'd think they're new). I don't have the facilities to keep a car hanging around to part out, but am willing to sell it in it's entirity to anyone that would like to part it out, otherwise the insuance company gets to auction it if there are no takers. I can take some digital photos for anyone that wants more details on it.<P>As for Joe,<BR>Thanks for the sermon, but I certainly didn't need it. This is far from being the first time I've been hit. All told, I've been rear ended 3x, broadsided 2x, and there's a few more that don't break down into catagories quite so easily. ... and those have all been someone else's fault. Needless to say, I've no intention of having the car fixed & would hope no one else would either.<BR>Although 1/2 the braking system components have been replaced since I've had it, I wouldn't put the car on the road again 'cause earlier that day the ABS quite working under hard braking & the car skidded due to the wheels locking (first time that's happened since repairs 2+ years ago). This just saves me a trip to the dealership now.<P>Enough from me for now ... if anyone's interested in the car, let me know.<BR>~Brenda

Joe -<BR>"RVOVOM" if read backwards, say ... in the rear view mirror ... says MOVOVR (move over). I wanted "SWING" for my swing dancing, but the gal at DMV didn't have a sense of humor. After this one, I'm thinkin' I should've left "CREAM" on there (being as the car gor creamed yet again), or perhaps I should just opt for 'CRASH" or "HITME" on my next car.

Brenda, <P>Maybe the sign in the glass and china shop would work for you..."You break...you buy."<P>Of course, that's too many characters for a plate, so here's some alternatives...<P>1. U HIT I SUE<BR>2. STOP NOW (The conservative Rush Limbaugh types like me would read this another way..LOL)<BR>3. WHOA (Always a favorite in Texas)<BR>4. WAKE UP<P>If the DMV folks STILL haven't grown a sense of humor, here's some bumper sticker ideas:<P>1. My pit bull is also my lawyer<BR>2. My last accident paid for my condo<P>Let me know what the insurance bean counters offer you!<P>Joe

Hi Joe -<BR>Yeah, I'll have to come up with something ... but in NH I only have 6 characters for a vanity plate (the computers aren't up for 7 yet).<P>Also, for everyone else ... like all good Reatta owners, I have a spare parts collection (some new & some used). Will post list as soon as I get things together in a few weeks. I do know that among other things, I have an exhaust manifold (u), oil pan(u), valve cover (u), EGR vlave(u), harmonic balancer(u), burgundy Reatta floor mats(u), lic plate light lens unit (n), a pair of remotes (u-both working last I knew). Have other misc parts too, but don't know 'em off the top of my head. Anyone interesed, let me know & we can arrange shipping.....<BR>~Brenda<BR>email: Reatta2go@aol.com<BR>(email me for phone number)

Guest Shaffer

Brenda: Sorry to hear about all of your misfortunes. Sounds like you have had more than your share of accidents and I hope you have no more. Luckily, I have never been a driver in a accident and only a passenger in 2 accidents. One was when I was 8 years old (17 years ago) We was in a big 1974 Pontiac Catalina sedan (same as Buick LeSabre) and no one was hurt, but it sent the car to the junk yard, (could have been easily fixed- only needed front fender/bumper - hit a mid 70s full-size Chevrolet pickup) because back then, they was like a late 80s car now and not worth repairing. The engine was saved though and put in another 74 Pontiac, but not a Catalina, but a GTO. My second accident back in 1994 was a little more serious. A then new 1994 Cavalier pulled into the path of my and my aunt. We was in a new 1994 Mazda Protege. A rental, as my aunts car was in the shop, due to a accident her husband had a week before. We hit him going approx. 50 MPH. The little Mazda was crunched, but it held up well, not even cracking the windshield. Luckily we only suffered chest bruises and some back problems. I was off work for 1 year. I am better now, but still have pain at times. Also my aunts sons, one was 1 1/2 at the time, the other 3 months away, was fine. I am glad you have not been hurt in your accidents and wish you the best. Take care and good luck with the Reatta.<P>Tony<P>72 Buick Electra 225 Custom 4-door hardtop<BR>89 Pontiac Safari 9-passenger wagon<BR>91 Honda Accord LX 4-door sedan (maybe buying)<p>[ 09-04-2001: Message edited by: Shaffer ]

Hi Brenda;<P>Sorry to hear about your misfortune but glad to hear that you are on the mend.<P>Love your plate but the best one I ever say read "WAS HIS" on a Mercedes 500SEL.<P>How much did it cost you to have the engine done. Mine has 186,000 miles and appears to be running strong but it has to be getting tired. How is the transmission?<P>Do you ever get to the British Invasion in Stowe?<P>Regards, Robert

Hi guys!<BR>Thanks for the well wishes & all. <BR>Favorite plate I've ever had: BODYDR (when I did auto body repair).<P>To Robert: Nope, never been to Stowe. As for the engine swap, it's (if I recall correctly) as 12.5 hour (or so) job. If you have a swap done, have a shop you're familiar & comfortable with do the job. I've had 'em swapped in each of the Reatta's I owned. First one cleanly snapped the cam (so it ran on 4 cyl instead of 6) at 108k. This one blew at 176k. My advice, run it 'til it dies. Only trans problem I've had is the torque converter starting to go out on this one, but otherwise the tranmissions have ben trouble free for me.

Okay, let's try this again... Really sorry to hear it happened again frown.gif" border="0, I'm sure glad to hear you weren't seriously injured grin.gif" border="0. Man, damage looks rough. Will you be getting another Reatta or will you be leaving us for greener pastures? Hope you stay. Your advice has surely been invaluable.<P>Either way you decide, don't forget usnow, you here. Man, I just don't know what to say except I'm just glad you're still kicking. <P>Oh, and thanks, Brenda. You and Joe gave me a much needed laugh (actually it took me a few minutes to get off of the floor). I might have to get me that "You Hit I SUE" Vanity plate!!! LMAO!!!

HI D.L.<BR>Much though I hate to admit it, I'm looking into getting something else. I still love the Reatta, but want something that is a l ittle easier to getfixed when it breaks (as we all know it will). Am looking into a totally impractical sports car:<BR>Mitsu 3000GT (VR-4 if I can find one)<BR>Toy Celica conv<BR>Nis 300ZX (turbo)<BR>Lex sc300 sports coupe<BR>various Porsches<BR>Hon del Sol<P> .... stuff like that. Finding the right car will be tough, as I really don't want to buy american, if it has a back seat it should be a gratitutious one (and totally uncomfortable for any passenger), looking for a nice ride, manual transmission and I gotta have another leather interior (else I'll have to cut my long hair so I don't get pinned ot the seat by it).

Brenda,<P>Since you've built a collective knowledge bank of GM products, I would suggest another alternative for your next transportation project. Go look at and drive a late-model or new Pontiac Firebird, but only with a V-8 engine. More power than you thought you could get for the money, a 350 engine that is so dependable GM will be making it for years to come, and really good handling. If you like to shop and barter, these cars are REALLY cheap right now because everyone seems to be buying four doors or SUVs.<P>Unfortunately, I can't own one because they really aren't built for anyone over about 5'10". I'm 6'2 and have driven one for about 50 miles, but it was a tight squeeze. But, oh, what a fun 50 miles!!! They even make a convertible version! If the side plastic panels below the door are too wide to make entry and exit practical, then try the Camaro. Same car, but with less stuff bolted to the exterior. <P>Good luck!<P>Joe

Hi Joe -<BR>Thanks for the recommendation, but I've decided to go back to foreign cars if I can. While I like to looks of the newer Birebirds & I'm sure I'd love the power, I don't like the visibility/blind spots they have (typical of American muscle cars over the years). So ... I'm looking at the following options:<BR>Mitsu 3000GT/VR4<BR>Mitsu Eclipse<BR>Toy Celica Conv<BR>Lexus SC300 sports coupe<BR>Honda del Sol<BR>BMW Z3<BR>Porsche 924 or 911<BR>Nissan 300ZX<BR>Mazda MX-6 or RX-7 (3rd gen)<P>Basically something in a 6 or 8 cyl engine, turbo optional, convertible/t-tops/sunroof optional, stick shift preferable, leather interior required (else my long hair will have to get cut), power toys, tilt/cruise. You get the pic, I'm sure.

Brenda,<BR>I'm so sorry to hear that this has happened. I'm glad you're allright. (I'm rather new here but you helped me with some brake issues a few weeks ago.) Please stick around. I've enjoyed your posts.<P>I've been lightly rear ended a few times but never had serious car or bodily injury. A driver who would rear-end a stopped car in this manner needs to be "educated". I'm hearing so many stories lately of cherished cars getting nailed by idiots...better leave the gun at home.<P>Brenda, remove those cars from your shopping list and replace them with the Porsche 928. This may be the greatest GT ever made. Contact me if you want to know more. Unlike other cars, even other Porsches. Very rewarding, and affordable at the moment...<P>I agree that the Firebird can be a great choice. With selected options this can be a great handling powerhouse. And on top of all that there's the Firehawks. Soon to be extinct.

....sorry to hear of your misfortune. i was rear ended by a big lincoln in my freshly done-up Monte Carlo 5 yrs ago and took me couple weekes to realize i was seriously injured(2 herniations and a concussion). That's quite a bit of damage you describe. i know it won't make you feel any better but i've had my Reatta vandalized 3 times in the past year or so(punk, 20 something kids). i hide it now and drive it on weekends. Don't know what it is about that car. Good luck in your next ride!

Brenda,<BR>Have you considered the Audi TT? That will be my next car after my love affair with my Reatta ends. Two seater in the convt. and child sized rear seats in the coupe, just what your looking for. The only bad reviews have been the low roof line knocking the head on entry.

HI Arrallen ....<BR>Actually, if I had $40k, I'd buy an Audi TT without a 2nd thought. Rented a convertible for a day while in Hawaii over new years & loved it. Unfortunately, $40k isn't in the budget, so I'll have to settle for something else 8-(

Guest dperras

Brenda...so sorry to hear of your recent snafu, but glad you are OK.<P>For your next car...too bad Volvo doesn't offer a special "impact package" on the 960...with supplemental air bags, roll bar, cow-catcher, etc.<P>If cost were not a factor I'd defintely see you in a 500SL. But I'm surprised no one has yet recommended that you get a nice, American CORVETTE!

Oh bite your tongue Dalton! 'vettes are e-v-i-l. Afterall, they're American. The Reatta is the only domestic car built since the old muscle cars that I actually liked. I'm contemplating a Grand Am for a winter car if I do get a foreign RWD sports car, but that would only be tolerable in the cold <chuckle>.

If we are talking dream cars, there is only one for me - a Facel Vega HK 500 (not a Facel II) with 4-speed, a/c, & disk brakes. Few know about them yet most were sold in California.<P>French bodywork & Chrysler hemi drivetrain.

Hi all - <BR>I've had a number of inquiries about the car & parts from the car. I just wanted to re-iterate that I can not part out the car, but do have some new & used spare parts for sale. I am also willing to sell the entire car as a parts car, but do not yet know what the buy back cost from the insurance company will be. Once I know that, I will post for whoever is interested in purchasing it.<BR>Thanks guys!<BR>~Brenda

Ragman, I love my Corvette and my Reatta for different reasons. <P>Corvette: power and handling<BR>Reatta: style and grace<P>Both are low-production cars. If "everyone has a Corvette", then there wouldn't be so many minivans and Hondas all over the place.