Model A ford tool question : Jack Handle for B-3

KRK Sr.

I have the 1981 Judging standards that state the correct handle for the B-3 jack part number A17081C was made of 3/8th rod stock, was 35 inches long, did not fold, and was black. It goes on to say the jack socket end had a 1 inch long, 3/8th squared end.

The revised 1997 Judging standards was changed to state: the handle had a UNIQUE 3/8th squared end to fit the sleeve on the jack.

In 2004 David Adair came out with a Model A tool book that shows a "non 3/8 inch square end". This year at Hershey, many copies of this book were in the hands of owners and they wanted only a handle that matched his book. I spoke to a long time A owner who stated that he had the 3/8 square style original handle. Can anyone tell me if a factory blueprint shows the correct end? Has this been found since the 97 Standards? Does anyone have a low mile 30 with the original handle? Do we still judge Model A's by the standards as written in 1997? thanks, Karl

I have no idea. I am pretty early in my quest to assemble a correct tool collection for my 1929 Phaeton. I would think that the best source for an answer would be the MAFCA Judging Standards Committee. According to the MAFCA website, Doug Clayton is the Chair of the Judging Standards Committee. I would contact him and he should be able to find you an answer.

Here is his contact information from the MAFCA website.

Doug Clayton - 06/04/04

Manteca, California

Delta A's

40A, 68A, 155D, 160B, 160C, 400A

original cars & restoring for show

dclayton@inreach.com