Teeves brake question

JWC

I bought a 90 Reatta and when I hold firm pressure on the brake pedal it will slowly go to the floor, I know on a reg. master cyl. this would be the seals, but on a Teeves could this be caused by any thing else?

I have no leaks any where on the car.

Is there a way for me to check with out taking it off the car?

How hard is this system to replace/bleed?

Can they be rebuilt or is it best to buy a new/used one?

Also the only warning lights on the dash I get is the "Service Engine"

Guest F14CRAZY

Hey John. I'm thinking you may just have an accumulator problem. I do suggest taking the Reatta.net brake test here. It seems to never fail to pinpoint what's wrong.

The Teves system bleeds like any other brake system. I do it with the ignition on. Have you bled brakes before?

Do the tests first. In most cases, you do not need a new master cylinder. If it happens you do, the Prior reman would be best. $600 if I recall and comes with a new pump and pressure switch.

If you need an accumulator, GMpartsdirect has them at $114 shipped versus $180 or so from a dealer. Might want to ask Jim Finn though, since he sometimes has a good one. I've also got a pressure switch and a pump from him before. Relays are readily available from a good auto parts store, I think Napa was $8 or so.

Holding OFF and WARMER on the climate control will bring up diagnostic mode and flash the codes on the odometer. Link to Reatta.net for more details. The '90-91 link should be intensive enough.

Barney here are the results

Test 1 was 6

Test 2 was 21

Test 3 was 37 or the red light and 39 for the yellow light

Test 4 was 48

Test 5 was 1/2

Test 6 was 1/2"

Test 7 was ok with me feeling the kick back in the pedal.

I'm with Phil on this one, it sounds like an accumulator going or gone bad but would also like your opinion.

Also how hard are these to replace if it is an accumulator.

Thanks for all the help

John

Accumulator just spins on and off like an oil filter (though sometimes it feels like Gozilla tightented it). It is an O-ring seal so no reason to be an tighter than a spark plug.

While replacing the accumulator is problably a Good Thing, pedal sinking to the floor slowly sounds more like the seals in the master cylinder are leaking. I do not know if a kit is available.

Incidently, about two weeks ago I e-Mailed Continental-Teves about the error codes being wrong. Since then I have gotten a "thank you for your inquiry", "your question is being forwarded to the home office", and a tire satisfaction survey.

Guest F14CRAZY

By the way, remember to depressurize the system before installing a new accumulator. At the least you'll nake a mess with brake fluid.