Serial Number (vin)

Im in the process of purchasing a 1930 Stude Dictator. The vehicle is a ways from me and I am told that vin is #1473934. For all you Stude nuts,will this number break down properly to this type/year vehicle? The owner said this number is off the plate on the frame behind the wheel.I got this location off this site. Thanks Daffy

The serial number plate located on the drivers side frame will only tell you the model and production year. At the time of your Studebaker's production the term VIN number was not yet in use and your car did not have a "modern" type VIN number that included production information like that used on more modern cars. Studebakers used three serial numbers on your car. One is the engine number, then there is a body number and the frame serial number that your mentioned. Please check out the Studebaker Club web site for additonal information: http://theantiquestudebakerclub.com/indentifycarsall/dataasheet1929thru1933.htm

• 2 months later...

Greetings,

My source states that the serial number is on a plate on the frame, as your friend stated; motor numbers are elsewhere, depending on series, year, etc. Serial numbers for the 1930 Dictator Six began at 1460001 and up. Your serial number falls within that range.

By the way, great data at the above-mentioned website!

Tom Gibson

• 16 years later...

Good morning,    I have a '57 Studebaker Hawk (beautiful cars) and it has the 7 digit Serial Number. I am attempting to positively identify this car and not having lots of luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-John-

4 hours ago, jrj2 said:

Good morning,    I have a '57 Studebaker Hawk (beautiful cars) and it has the 7 digit Serial Number. I am attempting to positively identify this car and not having lots of luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-John-

A suggestion that you post this as a new thread with an appropriate title.

On 4/8/2023 at 2:32 PM, jrj2 said:

-John-

I agree you probably should start a new thread. 

But........in 1957 there were only two Hawks -- a Golden Hawk which was a hardtop (no frame around the door window, and a rear quarter window that rolled down), and a Silver Hawk which was a coupe (with a frame around the door window, and fixed rear quarter windows that only popped out a couple of inches when unlatched). You can google some pictures of '57 Hawks to see the difference. 

Perhaps you need to further explain what you mean by "positively identify this car" so we can further help you out.