off topic, thank your school employee's and hug your kids!

Guest Tammy

Many of you have probably heard the news which took place just minutes from me, in a neighboring school ,Weston School District. As a wife of a high school teacher, (Wonewoc Center School District)

and a person who knows students and parents at Weston, Please take the time to support your schools and teachers and talk to your kids. We have been hit with a double tragedy,a young man dead from a car accident minutes before another young man enters this school and opens fire on the principal who later dies. We think this can't happen in such a small community, it has.

My son's school, Reedsburg school district, had lock down today too because of this.

So take your kids for a ride in the Reatta and have a little heart to heart! It's always great to let them know how much you love them, and what to do if a fellow student says, "the principal won't make it through this Homecoming"

The world as we knew when we grew up has changed. There is little value

placed on human or animal life anymore, just watch the tv. I think that we all

wish for a safer world but we as the adults of the world MUST find a way to make our schools safe. The kids are our future and we have to find a way no matter how many toes get stepped on. WE NEED TOUGHER LAWS AND LET THE TEACHERS TEACH AND PUNISH THE KIDS THAT ARE OUT OF CONTROL. IT WORKED 40 YEARS AGO AND IT WILL WORK NOW.I is really sad to hear what is going everywhere

and Tammy you are correct, I can and will happen anywhere if our society

cant or wont fix it. Stay safe

BOO

I most certainly agree!

Corporal punishment should have never been taken out of school, as well as prayer and common sense.

I grew up in Memphis, we moved there the day MLK was shot, it was a difficult time for everyone in town.

When we crossed the line at school, we were summarily punished - accordingly.

Swearing/cussing was not tolerated, and those doing so would be punished.

Heckling/arguing with the teacher/coach/administrator was punishable, as weel as fighting with another student.

No kissing, touching, nor disrespecting of the opposite sex, (Girls), was allowed, either.

When misbehavior happened, usually corporal punishment followed, post-haste.

We called it "LICKS", and the number of times your [censored] would get whacked with an administration-approved paddle was determined by the severity of the infraction. It's kinda like a spanking in it's level of humiliation, yet a wee bit more painfull for the rump, and reminds you, (for a few minutes, or maybe hours), not to break THAT rule again.

I got licks ONCE in high school. It was 1975, I blurted out "JACK-[censored]" on the football field. Luckily, the baseball coach only gave me 3 licks for the word [censored]. The other large-figured young black man with me in the office, waiting for licks had said "Mutha-F*****", he was to get 6 licks, as Muther is not a cuss word. I got the opportubity to go first - GREAT. That baseball coach had one hell of an arm, and would step-into each lick, as if he were trying to "knock one out of the park"! "Big Joe" Morgan saw me cringing, and started to tremble as I got my last one, as he was next - for SIX! He was crying as the coach took the books out of Joe's back pockets, and asked me to leave the room, unless I wanted more.

Niether Big Joe,nor I ever cussed, nor screwed-up in any way that would get us licks again!!

Corporal punishment works!!

CENSORSHIP???

We're not in H.S. anymore, the word I used is frequently used on TV and radio often.

Let's try using it in another context, and see if it gets censored.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's [censored].

..or as an abbreviation - The American Bar [censored]., or the Reatta headlamp [censored].(I have 2 of these!)

The world, as a whole, has gotten to be an evil place. Life does not seem to have meaning to so many people both young or old. I regret to say that that I feel things will only get worse. I remember as a child, you could play outside way pass dark and not worry. Not the case any more. In the days of yore, the door to your home could be unlocked, it would be foolish to do so today. Parents are the first teachers. They must take the role and teach their children right from wrong at a very early age. Today if a child get a spanking in public, CPS makes an appearence on your front door. There is a very real difference between spanking and abuse. I was never abused, but I was spanked. Guess what? It made me think about what I did befoe I did it. I loved my dad with all my heart, but when it came to spankings, I'd run to my mom. She did not spank so hard. I don't know answer to the world's problems. If I did, no one would listen. I'm sorry your area had to endure what it did. Perhaps it may wake up a parent or two. Perhaps a child will stop teasing another. Perhaps another child will come forward with informaton before another murder takes place. If that is the case, then a life was not totally wasted.

Guest Reatta1

One of the things we could do that would go a long ways toward getting back on track with this stuff is get rid of the ACLU and re-instate many of the things they have managed to get done away with.

They did prevent a similar situation in Green Bay WI. 2 weeks ago. The kids planning had been working on it for a while. The reason is all too familiar these days. They have been picked on, bullied, teased at school their entire lives. Please don't misunderstand me. This is tragic. I don't condone revenge.

We had a kid in my neighborhood who was always distruptive. He was in my class from 3rd to 8th. He went to the same high school. He was pretty quiet during high school. He was enrolled in some special ed classes. He was on the football team, wrestling team. He seemed to outgrow it. He didn't. He was killed by the Madison(WI) Police Department at his parents house when he was in his late 30's. He was distruptive somewhere and had caused a disturbance. The cops went over to talk to him. He pulled out a hand gun and they shot him before he shot them. This was the kind of kid that could have done what we're seeing today in high school. The difference? He was watched pretty close in school and he did not have access to fireams at home.

Teachers have it very hard these days. Instead of learning how to control a class and administer discipline as part of the curriculum , they learn how to counsel grieving students.

Guest CL_Reatta

Well, last school year a kid I know (not a friend since elementary) decided to go crazy and started making death threats, and made a Hit list with his best friend #1, I think the problem is not to little discipline but not enough attention. He wasn't picked, nor abused. but he had issues and the teachers and counselors never spent the time to talk with him, they immediately punished him when he did something wrong. (unlike the media says) I do believe that he had the means to carry out his threat just because back in elementary school he told me he has a knife collection in his house. If this hadn't of been caught it could have been much worse, and if someone would have actually listed to him maybe it could have been stopped all around. Here is the link to the story in the Detroit Free Press Click Here