Cruise Control help Please

Guest grkman1

I recently purchaseda 1988 Reatta. When I was taking the test drive the seller, I noticed that the cruise control didnt work and on the Screen came up a message that it was disconnected. The seller told me he would take care of that for me. He later said that they narrowed it down to somesort of a switch near the brake pedal but he is having trouble getting it. Has anyone else had this problem, and what did you do to solve it

Thanks much

The most common cruise control problems are loss of vacumn (cracked or broken vacumn lines) and a faulty or incorrectly adjusted switch at the brake pedal.

The pedal switch may still be available or they probably have a substitute.

Guest wally888

Go to reatta.net and read how to adjust the switch in the on line FSM!

Remove the lower panel on driver's side then-no tools needed. A new switch is about $8.

I had 2 CC's whose small wires at the base of CC failed. One would work if you turned the CC on then pushed Resume, guess was only wire still working.

" Go to reatta.net and read how to adjust the switch in the on line FSM!"

What is FSM? I went to the reatta.net URL and couldnt find anything for crusie control.

Thanks

Folks there is a message on the display that it is disconnected. A vaccuum line or a brake switch will not give that message.

There are several faults that will disconnect the cruise control for example a failed vehicle speed sensor (VSS) or a stuck open thermostat in cold weather (must be in closed loop for cruise to function).

First, pull the error codes, that may point to the problem. Second run the diagnostics in section 8A-34 of the service manual.

Sounds to me like the mechanic is just guessing.