Mercedes and Huppmobile need identification...

Eminoff

While at the Meadow Brook Hall Concours this year, I took a lot of pictures, but neglected to take a good record of the cars I photographed. I identified every single one from the catalog, except for two, which I am convinced were not even listed in the catalog. The two I couldn't identify fully was a white Huppmobile boattail racecar and a black 1928 Mercedes Benz Phaeton (problably a 630K). Does anyone know the exact/proper names for these two cars? See the photos of the Hupp (three of them, front, back, and engine) and of the Benz (just the side)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While at the Meadow Brook Hall Concours this year, I took a lot of pictures, but neglected to take a good record of the cars I photographed. I identified every single one from the catalog, except for two, which I am convinced were not even listed in the catalog. The two I couldn't identify fully was a white Huppmobile boattail racecar and a black 1928 Mercedes Benz Phaeton (problably a 630K). Does anyone know the exact/proper names for these two cars? See the photos of the Hupp (three of them, front, back, and engine) and of the Benz (just the side) </div></div>

For starters, the Hupp looks very much to be a highly modified car, with boattail body, and a very much customized engine.

As for the Mercedes-Benz, that is a Mercedes, don't recall the model number right off, but it is at least identical to the one used by the Marx Brothers, in "A Night in Casablanca", albeit in a much deteriorated condition at the time of filing. It was used in a chase scene out in the Mojave Desert, which was used because its sand dunes sort of replicate those of the Sahara Desert. Franklin Mint did a model of this car about 10 years or so ago.

Art Anderson

The 1930 Hup Comet is powered by the engine used in an Indy 500 contestant car driven by Russ Snowberger. He finished 5th in 1932 with it. Afterward Hup assembled the custom body roadster using the Indy engine as a promotional vehicle. The story can be seen at http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z12067/Hupmobile_Comet%20Speedster/default.aspx

Stude8

Guest stude8

For what it's worth, the Hup has very recently been acquired in a trade by John Snowberger, Russ Snowberger's son who is removing the engine to place it in a replica he is building of his father's 1932 Indy car, the real Hup Comet will be reincarnated. John says the chassis and body of the White roadster is for sale should anyone have interest, he lives in Sterling Heights, MI. It is in exceptional condition. Stude8