Trippe Lights

Tim Wolfe

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Tim:

Tripppe lights were made as early as 1918, and they changed some over the years. The lights also had small levels in them, something like those in a carpenters level. Those that have levels are generally referred to as "Seniors", while those that do not have levels are called "Juniors". Also, the main body shape changed in about 1935 or 1936, so you want the early style. The late style has a more flattened backside and are sometimes called a "D" shaped light. You probably should have the early style seniors on your car. Appearance and operability are critical. Trippes don't add points, even when they're perfect. Poor ones will cost you points.

Regards, Dave Corbin (a Buick guy)

• 4 weeks later...

Dave, thanks for the input. My lights are new, purchased a set of Sr. lights and a switch from Henry Yeska SR. ( Packard parts dealer) I had a new wiring harness made and included Trippe lights and turning signal lights. The Antique Auto club has told me that I must show proof that the lights are correct for the car or points will be deducted when at a show. Where would you get written proof that the lights are correct? The car is going to a top quality restoration shop next year and I'd really like to have the lights installed. But, I want to show the car too.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Tim:

I'm not sure how to answer your question, because I have always thought that Trippe lights were "after-market" items for any car. If anyone has documentation that the Trippes you have are from the 1930-1931 time frame, Henry Yeska would be my starting point. Ask him and follow his lead on documentation. Another possibility would be Don Sommers, the lights and castings guy. Also, some Chrysler technical advisor should know.

Regards, Dave Corbin, born & raised in Springfield near you.

Tripp details to consider, many have serial numbers engraved in the Trippe logo emblem attached to the reflector in center of lens. Try to confirm the correct serial number range for the date you are seeking.

Another item that dates Trippe's is the locations of manufacturing that are silk screened around the logo emblem vary from New York, London, Halifax among several I have seen. You would have a hard time qualifying a Halifax logo on a 1930 car if they weren't made there until 1940???

Somewhere in my infinite antique auto data file cabinets I had an enclosure from a NOS set of Tripp lamps that showed the various versions they produced at the time, if I can locate it I'll post a scan. Stude8

Thanks for the help. I did buy the lights from Henry Yeska several years ago, they are restored Senior lights that Henry said were correct for my car. I called him the other day and asked for any reference information to prove that they were correct and he said that it doesn't exist.So, I'm still looking. I might have to wait until I finish with any judged shows and then install them. I plan to do this with several other aftermarket items.

I am quite sure that a Pilot Ray single or double style (which turns with the front wheels) could have been an authentic accessory in 1930. I recall reading somewhere that Trippe Lights were really over the road TRUCK lights. They were definitely an aftermarket accessory. I dont recall ever seeing a factory brochure for any make of car offering Trippe Lights as a factory or dealer installed accessory.

It would be interesting to see ANY car sales brochure which offered Trippe Lights.