1962 Olds frames

ednavy212

Can anybody tell me what cars have the same frame as a 62 Olds 98 convertible. I recently came into a 77k original mile 98 convertible but the frame rails along the side are really bad. I was told the Hollander interchange says it doesn't iterchange with any other cars but I would think that's going by an exact fit. I have good welding skills so I can transfer over extra braces for a convertible, if there's a sedan/hardtop frame that's similar. Also, where is the extra length of the 98 body compared to the 88/Starfire body? Longer doors, quarters, fenders or all three. Any help would be gratly appreciated. Thanks! -Ed

A 98 convertible frame won't interchange with much. Convertibles probably have boxed frame rails, which other 98s won't have unless they had the heavy duty frame option, and I don't even know that option was available in '62. 88 and starfire convertibles are a shorter wheelbase, so they won't work. Difference in length is between the door and rear wheel opening. C body Buicks and Cadillacs use different frames. Now, that being said, maybe a frame from a '61, '63 or '64 98 convertible would work. I'll have to look at my parts book.

Paul

Is the rust on the inboard surface or the outboard? Convertible and HT frames use the same outside members. The main difference is the additional pieces welded to the HT frame to box it out. These are specially formed parts, not just flat pieces, so boxing a later model frame is a lot more complex than on a street rod. However, if the special convertible sections on your frame are in usable shape, you COULD cut them out of the old frame and weld them into a HT frame.

Thanks for the info. I figured the difference might be wether the frame is boxed or not. I haven't gotten it on a lift or on ramps yet so I'm not sure about the extent of the rot. It seems to be just the "rails" that run along side the rocker panels though. The torque boxes appear solid. I found a junkyard with 64, 65 & 68 98 hardtops so I'll get under those cars & see if it's the same basic frame.

I have both '61 98 & Starfire convertibles, along with a '62 Starfire coupe. The convertible frames are indeed boxed-in. The '61 & '62 cars are nearly the same under the sheetmetal, & the doors are entirely interchangeable. If you have some welding skills, you could very likely adapt a '61 98 convertible frame to a '62...I simply can't imagine there's much difference between them. The problem will be finding one, and if you do it may well be as bad or worse than the one you have. They just didn't make a lot of them, & the frames all rust out where the front of the rear axle arches meet the torque boxes.

The difference in length between the 98 vs. the 88/Starfire is 3" in the wheelbase (126" vs. 123") and another 3" in the rear overhang, for a total of 6". The 6" difference is found entirely in the rear quarter panels; there is no difference in doors and front fenders. Good Luck!

• 1 month later...
Guest garysolds

i have a 61 olds starfire conv with frame rust where the rear section meets the tork box. can anyone supply pictures of a good frame so i can reconstruct mine.thanks gary