What year Packard is this?

Pontiac59

A friend bought this out of a junkyard. It was last used as a stationary power plant for belt driven machinery, so this is all that's left of it - hood, grille shell, motor, trans, cowl, dash, and the front half of a frame. It has an 8-cylinder engine.

29packard1.JPG

Whatever it is, it must weigh 3500 lbs, or more, as it sits, the bucket tractor we used to help load we had to put a couple guys on the back so the rearend would stay on the ground.

The car has a cowl tag with a serial number that appears to read 535 35xxx (I need to upload my photo to see this better).

I68354 is stamped into the top of the firewall.

Guest dongle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whatever it is, it must weigh 3500 lbs, or more...... </div></div>

3500 pounds?? Are you sure its not still attached to an oil well sunk 1400 feet into the earth?? I may be way off but I can't see it weighing that much...?

Guest imported_Speedster

The engine number should be stamped in top of left front engine mount.

Then we can look it up and tell you what year the engine and probably the other parts were made.

The serial # on tag doesn't match any numbers I know about and there are not any good records left on the firewall #s.

The frame in it is twice as tall as a late model car frame, the rails are like 10" high. The engine block is huge, if a Chevy 235 weighs 1000 lbs, this one is longer and has the valves in the block, I'd say there's at least 2000-2500 lbs in just the engine and the frame rails, anyway. The tractor they were using wasn't huge, but it wasn't a tiny one either, and it had the rear tires up a good foot off the ground.

I have the Krause Standard Catalog of Independents and 533 comes back to a body number for a sedan in the Light Eight models and a convertible sedan in one of the higher models, so I think that's what the first part of the body number is. From the looks of it, the Light Eight had three vents on the hood, the senior series 4, and the hood on this (which is all there) has three. The book has engine number info in it, too, so I'll post what I find when I get to it.

Anyone want to hazard a guess what it might be worth? It's not restorable without a whole other car, but if you needed a motor or a hood.. most of the dash is in it, too.