55 PONTIAC DUAL EXHAUST

RGWILSON

I'm looking for information on installing dual exhaust on my 55 Starchief convertible. Has anyone seen this done? I have read magazine articles that indicate their car has dual exhaust and am aware of contoversy over whether Pontiac actually offered this option late in the model year. My local custom exhaust shop says no way to do this that he can see, but would be willing to do it if someone has successfully installed and can provide diagram or similar info to go on. I had a similar car in 1957 and my uncle installed a y pipe to give me the look of duals but even that would be difficul says the exhaust shop. Can anyone help. Thanks.

I did reply to the PM, hopefully it went through but just in case here it is again.

As you probably already know Pontiac in 55 didn't offer a dual exhaust. You will only find the passenger side of the frame cut out by the factory, right in front of the muffler for the pipe to route to the rear of the car.

I have seen a few 55's with dual exhaust (aftermarket) as the exhaust manifolds should not be a problem nor having a muffler or piping bent up. In fact you could probably buy a complete reproduction 56 Pontiac exhaust as dual's were offered however you will still need to torch the driver side frame for the other muffler / pipe set up. My 55 was a very late vehicle off the assembly line and still only had the one frame hole cut out.

I believe that the carburetors were the same in 55 and 56 (2 & 4) with no different jetting for single verses dual exhaust but would still keep an eye on the plugs for a lean condition.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

You might want to borrow a 56 manual and compare the frame section to the 55 manual. If it were me I would find a 56 Star Chief preferably a convertible and do some measuring. A convertible frame probably has a few more supports then the hardtop.

I know fall Hershey typically has at least one 56 hardtop at the show.

• 4 weeks later...

Ron, thanks to you and all who replied to my request. I did receive a diagram of the 56 thru 59 exhaust layou, but it was only as detailed as what I already had. I decided to go with a new 1 in 2 out muffler to create my duals without torching the frame. No one seemed anxious to handle that task anyway and I decided it wasn't worth the trouble. The new setup came out great and I have finally taken the car to 2 shows. It's been a big hit as there are just not many of these convertibles here in N.J., especially equipped with factory air, power windows, and every other option Pontiac offered in 55 except the locking gas door. Thanks again, Bob

Sounds like all turned out well and not cutting the frame was a good idea. A pair of the 55 Pontiac exhaust deflectors would look nice.

I have the locking gas door on my 55. It was fairly hard to find however the Pontiac rear window defroster, ladies purse holder, Thermaster refrigerator and Thermaster hot / cold jug provided to be extremely difficult to locate.

My 55 has 51 out of 62 factory options that were available for the model year hardtop. I am unsure as to how many you could get on the convertible since the exterior sunvisor and prism, etc couldn?t be added for obvious reasons.

• 3 weeks later...

Ron, I remember reading about the options on your car in I believe the POCI Magazine. That's the only time I've ever seen anyone with the Purse Holder option. I have also found the Thermaster refrigerator and the Hot/cold jug on EBAY along with several other pieces for the 55. I haven't added up the number of options but going thru my Dealer Catalogue I can't find many I don't have except for the non-convertible items and some of the more non Pontiac specific items, such as the electric razor, umbrella, etc. The Hot/Cold jug was an unbelievable bargain at $1, it cost $6 to ship it. and it's in great shape! I don't have a continental kit and am not leaning towards adding one now although I was originally. I do have one exhaust deflector but never could warm up to it's appearance so I made 2 similar deflectors with the Indian Chief profile attached. They look good and several people have questioned me as to where I got them but they are truly one of a kind. Thanks again, Bob

• 3 weeks later...
Guest drobertson

Hi,

Wanna buy my '55 Starchief coupe? It already has a new dual exhaust system on it. Unfortunately, I don't know how to attach a picture of it. Email me at drobertson@wi.rr.com if interested. It's the actual car that Fraklin Mint used as their model for their die cast car. I have copies of the documentation from them.

Dave