thermostat no fit

Barney Eaton

Is it possible you are installing it upside-down. <P>It is interesting that the illustration in the manual and the illustration on the side of the Stant box show the installation just the opposite. <P>I believe you will find the only way they will fit is with the pointy end down.

Strange, mine (Stant 59848 aka 65848) went pointy side up, spring side into the manifold. Some are "reverse poppet" so suggest looking for stamping "to radiator" on flange of thermostat.<P>BTW Reatta uses a 44mm (1.72") thermostat. Any chance you have a 1.85" unit ? If so it may only fit one way.

WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<P>Barney, please CONFIRM the above when you indicated:<P>" believe you will find the only way they will fit is with the pointy end down."<P>??? I swear that when I took mine out, and replaced it, that the pointed side was up toward the hose going to the radiator and the round copper sensor was down toward the engine block.<P>Please note an excerpt from my ALLDATA CD-ROM under Thermostat:<P> <A HREF="http://www.reatta.net/graphics/010621_thermostat.gif" TARGET=_blank>http://www.reatta.net/graphics/010621_thermostat.gif</A> <P>--Tom<p>[ 06-21-2001: Message edited by: tjenkins ]

i was changing my thermostat, it was going well til i tried to put the thermostat housing back on the block and it didnt fit. Exact same thermostat, i swear. The housing fits on the block without the thermostat, but even when i tried to put the old thermostat back in to see if it would fit, it wouldnt. Is it the housing that is warped or what??? thanks for feedback

I am not sure if I am on the same wavelength here but I have not seen one that didnt go with the temp sensor pellet toward the engine.

The illustration in the 89 shop manual that shows the thermostat installation is incorrect. It goes opposite to that shown in the manual

Son of a giant chicken - that's right, it's rong. At least the 88 Reatta FSM shows it pointy end down (which is clearly wrong if you think about which end is going to be in the hottest water). OTOH my '90 Bonneville FSM has it right side up just like my pointy hat.<P>And the correct answer is: "put the side that says *to radiator* toward the radiator."<P>ANFSCD, looks like my IP inverter (for the pod lights) may have bit the dust. All the web sites come back NLA. Anyone have extras ? (see 8A-88-0 in '88 FSM )

That is the first time I have been wrong this week.... have mercy on me, birthday next week, small gifts will be fine.<P>It may be that the pellet end will not fit into the goose neck. It's been over a year since I change one....<P>Yesterday (6/21) my outside temp reading was 106 and in heavy traffic, seemed like 2 minute light cycles, my gage was going two clicks past straight up. Once moving it would drop to correct indication.