Overdrive Question

its a V-12

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I go into OD I lose reverse. Any suggestions as to why??? </div></div>

Zeffer1940 is right. There is probably a cut out switch attached to the reverse gear linkage to disengage the overdrive solenoid when you go into reverse. The units are not designed to operate in reverse and damage will occur if it is attempted. I own a Packard not a Lincoln but I believe they both use the Borg-Warner O/D unit.

What are the symptoms? If the car cannot be driven in reverse it possibly means that the overdrive solenoid is not disengaging and the overdrive is stuck. If on the other hand the car does move in reverse when the dash knob is pushed and shifts into O/D in forward gears it is working properly. The reverse cut-out if on your car is a safety switch to prevent the car being moved in reverse if the solenoid is engaged.

Studebaker marketed this feature as a "hill holder". Momentarily engaging the solenoid would prevent the car from rolling backwards when stopped on a hill. A nice feature for folks with poor clutch control! By not leaving the solenoid energized, the transmission would drop out of overdrive as soon as the car started moving foreward. I added this "accessory" to my 1951 Ford and fooled a lot of passengers by taking my foot off the brake at an uphill red light. Lots of fun!

Your solenoid is probably sticking in the "engage" position. This probably means that you start out in overdrive. Does it ever go back to normal?