1939 Dodge 6cyl Need firing order and plug placement on Dist cap

branicvw

Anyone have the firing order of the motor? Also need either a wiring diagram or possible picture of the distributor cap with wire placement so i know where the wires go back on. My brother was helping me out and the Dist cap was removed and a whole bunch of the wires popped off before i could take a picture or number them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Easy mistake to make!! Firing order is 1,4,2,6,3,5. To get the correct leads in the correct terminal hole try this. The cap has two grooves which the side clips go into. Look at the inside of the cap, there is a locating tab beside one of these grooves, turn the cap back up the normal way with the groove that is over the location tab on your right. The terminal hole immediately BELOW the LEFT hand groove (the one WITHOUT the locating tab beneth it is your number 5. Going clockwise next is 1, then 4 then 2 etc. Centre is of course from your coil. Any probs send me a message.

Hope this works!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dave, I'm slightly confused. The MOTOR's Auto Repair manual lists the firing order as 1-5-3-6-2-4. </div></div>

My wiring diagram for a Dodge,D8 (218)shows the firing order as 1-5-3-6-2-4, and that is how my motor is hooked up. I have attached a tune-up page that shows this in a diagram. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

So based on the correct firing order does the description here still apply or should i follow the firing order as i put them on the cap in clockwise fashion? By the way thanks guys I owe you big time!!! Look for up and coming posts as well I have a ton of parts Im listing for sale. I have like 3 carb, waterpump, and all kinds of assorted trim goodies!! All from the 39.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dave, I'm slightly confused. The MOTOR's Auto Repair manual lists the firing order as 1-5-3-6-2-4. </div></div>

My wiring diagram for a Dodge,D8 (218)shows the firing order as 1-5-3-6-2-4, and that is how my motor is hooked up. I have attached a tune-up page that shows this in a diagram. Hope this helps. </div></div>

Thom I didnt see any attachements could you retry? Thanks

Guest imported_Terry  kean

A long time ago a mechanic told me how to remember the six cylinder firing order. He said to think about the perfect woman, 15 is too young, 36 is too old, 24 is just right. That was so long ago that the 36 is way too young now, but i never did forget it.

Evidently I don't know how to post an attachment on this forum or my file is bigger than 1000000 bytes. I will try again, but if it does not work you will have to give me an email address and I will send a copy of the tech guide showing the arrangement.

Number one cylinder is at the radiator and #6 is at the firewall. Hope this helps.

• 13 years later...

If it were me I would ground the coil wire, then pull the front spark plug and stick my finger in the hole and have a friend bump the starter so I could find compression.

When you find that compression take a look at the distributor with the rotor on and it should be pointing at number one if the cap was on.