Replacing rear wheel bearings - 1925 DB Touring

Gidday all from Sydney, Australia. I have a 1925 Tourer, 1 family owned since new. Rear wheel bearings have never been replaced, so about time! My rear axle has the single tapered roller bearing, and the wheels fit onto a taper with a key. The axle is tapered back from the bearing to the "spline", and the inner race of the bearing seems to be fitted on the axle very snugly. I have been able to press the outer bearing ring out of the large castlelated (sp?)nut, but am unsure how to attack the inner ring. Does the bearing sit up against a shoulder? Ie, does it come back off toward the hub taper, or towards the spline? A shoulder would be needed to positively locate the bearing, or does it just butt up against the centre of the diff? ie, Spline end has a sort of ball end on it. If it was a Holden of Ford I would just attack it with an angle grinder, but I don't want to do any sort of damage to the axle shaft.

I posted a wanted add on the DBC website for felt seals, but have located these in Melbourne, at a very reasonable price.

Any advice welcomed. Car is 100% original.

Cheers from downunder.

Marty

Would still like to find out info on the rear axles, but have a slightly larger problem, whilst attending a rally on the weekend, the crankshaft broke through #1 big end journal. Is this common? Or age related? Never thought I would have to worry about the crank on a Dodge 4! No excessive speed, nothing out of the ordinary, just travelling along at around 30-35 mph. Anybody else broken a crank?

Marty

Marty

If memory serves the inner race on the axle bearing is tapered. Press the bearing off towards the wheel away from the splined end. The taper on the axle with the keyway continues through the bearing.

The broken crank, yes I have heard of this on 1# piston bearing journal on the radius close to #2 journal. This is where it will fail in fatigue. On your new (old crank in good condition) make sure that the radius on all journals is smooth and no sharp corners.

Well lunch is over got to go back to work.

Cheers

Reuel

Thanks guys,

Yes, I got the felt seals from AA Bearings in VIC, very good service.

Re the crank, I guessed it must have been fatigue, wonder if my warranty is still good? :-)

Not a lot of spare time or $$ for engine rebuilds, but I will keep you guys posted on progress, could take a while.

Cheers

Marty