Pre-War Buick Paint Colors and Combinations

pint4

I recently purchased a pre-war Buick and would like to paint it a combination of 2 shades or deep red (not fire truck red) or 2 shades of burgundy or maroon. Does anyone have any pictures of cars from the early to mid 30's done in those color combos? Or does anyone with a good sense of color have any recommendations? Did they have metallic finishes in the early 30's? I'm thinking something darker on the fenders and above the beltline and lighter throughpout the mid-section.

Thanks.

I'd recommend taking it easy on the metallics--while they were present in the '30s, they didn't look like they do today. They were much more subtle.

What I've done to determine the colors on my '41 is to acquire an original paint chip chart from 1941 and try to match up the colors with modern samples. The metallics can be mixed in at the same time, and you can control the amount.

I'd also recommend looking at the Auto Color Library on-line and see what they have. The AACA archives may also help shed some light. And, of course, go to some shows and take a look at other cars, even other makes, to see what the paint looked like back then. You'll easily be able to spot paint that is like the original vs. modern mixes.

Hope this helps.

Guest rcirilli

I have paint cards for 1930 and 1931, unfortunately they don't help a lot as the colors have faded to the dark side. In 30 Buick had Aristo Gray, Verda Grey, Etoile Blue, Gramercy Blue, Aristo green, Boulevard Maroon, Algonquin Green, Valescure Brown, Valescure Tan, and Cairo Green. For 31 Classic Blue, Sport Tan, Capital Maroon, Everglades Blue, Chancellor Blue, Venetian Yellow, Cavendish Green, Korenzo Blue and Chatham Beige. I hope this helps a little but I am sure there are better sources.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Pint4:

Check your car's data plate for what was there originally. While it will almost certainly be a single color, you might like it. The BCA judging handbook is the best source of information on this subject, so be sure you consult it BEFORE you spend several thousand bucks and regret it!

Regards, Dave Corbin

• 4 weeks later...
Guest harry

I have a 1940 Buick Super, Model 51. The paint code is 551, which I think is Silver French Gray Poly. on the upper and Monterey Blue Poly. on the lower. Is this correct?

The Trim Code is 810. Does anybody know what this is?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure about 1940. Paint colors are hard to verify on a computer because every monitors is different. Paint samples from old color chips are so dark due to aging that you can't determine how close they are to the actual color. Now I am wondering if there was a combination with a dark blue top and dark blue fenders with greenish-blue body in the center.

Thanks.

Bob

I find that paint charts when aged or displayed on the computer are not accurate reflections of the color when the paint finally dries on the car. What do others do to insure they get the exact color they want? I thought of buying a pint once I have narrowed it down and have some sprayed on a piece of sheetmetal.

Bob

• 1 month later...