Buicks in China - the new Cool...

59 98

Don't know if anyone has read this article on msn.com, so I thought I'd post it.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12801549/

I just thought it was interesting that Buicks in China are the the new cool, '?They want a car that says, ?I?ve arrived,?? said Troy Clarke, president of GM Asia -Pacific.'

... and another quote:

'The Buick has always had a bit of allure here. The last emperor was the proud owner of two Buicks, but now, the Buick is making a new generation of Chinese feel at least like kings of the road.'

Now would be the time to bring the name 'Roadmaster' into the China market. I am not going to insert my opinions on what Buick is to the Chinese compared to what it is to Americans, but I thought the little article was interesting and cool.

Enjoy!

Matt

Yes, they would respond to a badge like "Roadmaster" in a big way!

I wonder how many would respond to a name like "Reatta", Buick's only 2-seater.

I'd imagine, (in such a populous country), someone there would like to have a car no-one else has, especially an exteremely rare Buick.

I'm selling our 1990 Reatta convertible, Red with a tan top and interior, only 83k miles, BCA Midwest Regional award winner, for only $9999, (or better offer), priced well below it's collectible value, in very good condition. See attached photo.

So, if you know someone in Red China, who wants a truly unique and rare Buick, send them to the Reatta discussion group, here at the AACA forum website.

post-38921-143137895761_thumb.jpg

Guest norb

I just heard on a Detroit radio station today that we will soon have chinese cars sold in our country.With their cheap labor, that should put an end to our big ? three car makers. norb

Norb, I find that hard to believe that they would import Buicks from China to the USA, they build an entirely different vehicle there. The MVSS standards would have to be put on every vehicle that came to the US. and that would cost alot, plus shipping is expensive, even if they build a cheap car.

I will see if I can find the crash-test video, but yes, the Chinese cars will need LOTS of crash testing and structural re-design to come to the States. They made what was basically an exact exterior copy of the Izuzu Rodeo, but it failed so dismally in crash tests it was scary. In the standard test 40 mph offset head-on crash test, it folded up literally like an aluminum can, with the left front wheel and entire floor ending up in the front seat, and the steering wheel/column hitting the roof above the driver's head. The A pillar almost touched the B pillar. Absolutely no passenger compartment structural strength whatsoever, it was the crumple zone. That is a failed test, in my opinion.

Matt