'55 Starfire Conv. tire sizing

DSMtuned

Hello,

I'm in need of some whitewall radial tires for my '55 Olds Starfire Conv. The repair manual says the wheels are 15"x5.5" and the tire size is 8.00x15.

I've looked at Coker Tire and found the BF Goodrich Silverton Radials.

http://www.coker.com/store/customer/home.php?cat=255

When looking at the sizes, it seems like I need 215/75R15 or 205/75R15 or 215/70R15. Is this right? These seem like quite a lot of tire for a 5.5" wide rim.

Any experience here?

Thanks, Craig

OK how about these questions:

Would it be better to get a larger sidewall like in the 215/75R15 or the shorter sidewall of the 215/70R15?

Also, do you think I'll have any problems using radials on wheels that were originally for poly tires?

Thanks!!

-Craig

I would think on that car you would want the taller sidewall. I'm currently running radials on my '62 Starfire with no problems. However, I have heard that older wheels were never intended for radial tires and can flex quite a bit. I had radials on a '52 98 once and it was always throwing hubcaps due to the wheel flex.

Paul

I have not had a problem with my 55 (picture attached) running bias tires. I keep them inflated around 30 pounds of which prevents wandering however the front end bushing, etc are in good condition. Many go to radials trying to stop front end wandering but their suspensions usually need work.

My tires were bought from Universal Tire however they handle some of the lines Coker has. The problem I have with both Universal and Coker are the whitewalls yellow quickly and continually need cleaned. I bought a set of radials from Diamond Back classic's for a 60's car I own and their whitewalls do not yellow are extremely easy to clean and don't seem to hold the dirt in the whitewall near as much as the other two.

post-30758-143137893121_thumb.jpg

Craig,

I would suggest looking into a 225/75-15 Radial for your 55 Starfire. Even possibly looking into a 235/75-15 as well. The 225 is a better match for your 800-15 then the 215 would be, and will fit your 5.5" wheel. The other acceptable size would be a 235/70-15.

In regards to installing a radial tire on a wheel that was originally used for a bias ply tire, that is not a problem. We have never had a problem with that, and sell radials as replacements for bias ply tires on a daily basis. My understanding of the old story regarding installation of radials on rims that originally were designed for a bias tire goes back several years when another popular tire vendor who sold wheels as well as the radial tires, used it as a way to generate and increase the sales of their wheels.